View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #85
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Part of what we are seeing here is that EVs are mature. EVs have progressed from being tiny short mileage science experiments (Mitsubishi iMiEV) or super pricey luxury vehicles (Model S, Taycan) to being mainstream moderately priced vehicles (Mustang Mach E, VW ID.4) and fully functioning, even commercial vehicle capable (Ford Lightning, Silverado EV) that are available in every form factor from small sedan to CUV to SUV to monster pickup (Hummer EV).

The next step is to improve the cost of EVs and improve charge times. There are people burning midnight oil to achieve both of those things. It will happen sooner than later. Part of the reason automakers are actually ahead of the government in embracing the move towards EV is the long term cost potential. Right now GM has somewhere around 12-15 vehicle platforms in development and production, depending on how you define platform. When GM shifts to mostly EV, they will be able to deliver most of their portfolio using two platforms, BEV3 for sedans and crossovers, BET for trucks and SUVs. They will be able to mix and match eMotors and drive units to achieve performance and capability targets. Battery sizes will be flexible like lego sets to deliver multiple options for range and vehicle output. Once these are in place, development costs per unit produced will drop dramatically.

2021 was the year that EVs crossed the 10% of sales line in California. 2022 will be the year they cross the 5% line nationwide. And as a nation, the US is far behind other leading car markets.

Still, ICE will not totally disappear. There are some use cases where ICE continues to work best. It’s not so much an “either or” scenario, it’s an “and” scenario.
Well I suppose everyone has a different definition for "mature", and that's fine. I think EV is definitely viable in some uses, but not for me.

The fewer platforms make sense financially, and it's fine for your average family vehicle, but I would think performance vehicles will need dedicated platforms regardless, not only is it good for the performance and helps those vehicles achieve their full potential, but there is more sincerity to the car crowd in developing a dedicated platform for performance vehicles.

And yes, I can still see ICE existing in cases like emergency vehicles, even in hybrid forms. The greater flexibility is still not matched by EVs. Same with long-distance transportation, unless the battery energy density issue is properly addressed.

Something I forgot to mention, I also don't personally think EVs solve many issues for me. Driving in the city blows just about as much in an EV as an auto trans car, and parking is still a pain. For me, something like a bicycle or electric scooter is more appealing because they solve these city issues. Maneuvering and parking are far more flexible with bicycles and scooters, provided that the weather cooperates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I still genuinely don't understand why there was never a market for a diesel electric automobile... All the benefits that everyone decries from the electric motor part of the world combined with a smaller overall battery pack that can be kept charged by a tiny diesel engine (which could be controlled with stop/start technology). Seems it would be super reliable, able to traverse long distances, able to actually refuel in short orders of time, and would significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions through the way the engine operation would be controlled.
Diesels are now impossible to market in passenger vehicles thanks to VW. Mention diesel in a passenger car and watch people run away from it because "it's dirty and probably cheats emission tests".

Besides, you know that diesel engines cost a lot, yeah? Practically all cars that come with a diesel option have the diesel engine as the most expensive one. They are very complicated to make emission-compliant, and they have to be tough to deal with the high compression ratio they run at. They may spit out less than a gas engine, but the stuff they spit out is far worse. Soot and NOx are not major items of concern with a gas engine, but they are with a diesel. NOx needs DEF in a diesel engine to keep in check, and that needs to be replenished to keep working.

It's just kinda pointless when you can just make a simple gas engine and have it run on Atkinson cycle, like Toyota. Plenty reliable, cheap, efficient and less fussy emission control.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 09-13-2021 at 02:00 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote