View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #27
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
The airbag issue has now been fixed. I spent a lot of time going to different shops, trying to fix it myself, trying to work out some "creative solutions" (like trying to "jump" the airbag on/off switch, so that it is always in the "on" position (to trick it into always believing there was a passenger in the seat). Does not seem to be possible).

No independent shop would touch it... all said it was a dealer- only repair, due to the need for certain GM- only proprietary software, both for diagnostic and final programming of components.

First dealer gave me an estimate of $1400. Second dealer I went to (since $1400 seemed a little steep!) got 'er done for $900. AS almost every post/ thread on this forum seems to eventually indicate, it was the PPS (passenger presence sensor).

Just FYI, that PPS isn't a simple thing. I had pictured something like bubblewrap under the seat cushion (no idea why it can't just be a simple on/ off switch, but, whatever). However, it is not bubblewrap: It is a crazy mat made of a copper grid, that generates radio signals (and even its own voltage, as demonstrated to me by an electrical engineer: we completely removed the seat from the car, and when one sits on the seat, the voltmeter attached underneath the seat reacts to (micro) volts being generated!), and communicates in many ways with the control module.

After 110,000 miles, this was the first time the car has had to go in for work, so I can't really complain TOO much. However, it seems that this problem is common, and a common failure that is astoundingly expensive to fix (and could result in a fatality unless fixed). That just sort of rubs me the wrong way.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote