Thread: Gas Usage
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Camaro, while a great sports car is not the most efficient. The SS gets all the attention- and always will. The car is fairly heavy and for it's size and weight gets pretty good mileage. My Gen 5 SS manual 6 speed did not do well- I got 19 average driving with a feather light foot- getting my foot into it I would literally see the gas gage drop and fast. It's one of reasons I traded it for my Gen 6 with the V6. I now have the V6 with an A8 and it does OK- depends how I drive it. If I step on it around town it will get only in the teens. Highway driving say 50-55 it will get 31. Faster than that say 65-70, it drops to 28 or so. My all around average is around 25- and it takes regular gas keeping the cost down. I don't drive it every day- it's my weekend car- it uses too much fuel- I drive 100 miles a day round trip and I have a Fiesta ST, which I get 36.5- which still adds up to $160 a month.

It's really interesting how, in my experience owning a lot of different cars which ones get the best MPG- driving light footed and when stepping on it. In my opinion Camaros guzzle gas when stepped on- V6 or V8. My little Fiesta ST with only a 1.6L also does. Yet they do pretty good when driven very gently. I will share my experience and say that I had only two cars which yielded the best MPG when driven both lightly and hard- my 2016 WRX and my 2016 Mazda Miata. WRX yielded 32 average and 38-40 on the highway and the MX5 yielded 36.5 average- and that included spirited driving. Corvettes also get good gas mileage. My 1985 C4 gets better than my Camaro- light weight, low coefficient of drag and low RPM.