View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I installed Pegasus solid (aluminum) rear sub-frame bushings on Tuesday. Ever since I bought this car I felt like there was just a obscene amount of slop in the driveline. You hear "well, it's got a two piece drive-shaft, it's got a dual mass flywheel, it's IRS, etc". I always felt like the slop was mostly the rear sub-frame - you could really notice it if you pulled the e-brake on while it was still rolling a little that it would REALLY rock back and forth - and that would only be suspension related.

So, I installed the solid bushings. The install really wasn't too challenging with the use of a lift. I used the heat and jack method, and the whole job took only about two hours. I also swapped on an LPW differential cover - for those of you wondering - YES, you can do it without pulling an axle and dropping the diff out.

Man - wow, what a difference. I felt it from the first release of the clutch backing out of the shop - just everything was solidly connected. Much less potential for bucking, much better shifting feel, pedaling through wheel-spin is nice and smooth, no wind-up on launch, this should be a MUST DO mod for even a stock M6 car. Autos will benefit too, but the M6 especially moves that cradle around a lot! If you're on a tire and you've got aggressive gears, it's the only way to be. It's worth every penny.

Note - I did not pick up any type of road noise at all. No clunks, bangs, etc. I did pick up a good bit of gear whine. My car has 4.10s, and they were not quiet to begin with (has had BMR pro bushings in the diff for a year). I added the LPW cover at the same time as the solid bushings - that has load bolts that go right down to the main caps on the ring gear. And that cover has a BMR pro bushing in it, and then solid cradle mounts, so the noise has a pretty straight shot to get up to the body. I think the LPW cover has a lot to do with it. No complaints though - I'm doing race-car stuff and that's a side-effect I'm willing to live with. I bet most sets of gears aren't this noisy either - most guys say they have no noise.
Hey there again acammer, nice to chat with you again! You post some really great stuff man! Still lovin this Mishimoto 169 stat I installed thanks to you sir! Now I am doing this solid bushing swap because the rear just moves to much for my liking with this new cam setup I have, so I decided to do these, got a great price from JDP Motorsports. I went up to my dealership, they have a couple guys that do all the performance stuff and they are great, but their system doesn't show how long it takes to do this, I found a vid on youtube using the jack and heat method. How did you do it that it took only about 2 hours? That would be awesome if you could share that for me. Once again thanks for quality information.