View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
I've read the threads about grinding when backing up and the brake rust. But my wifes 2SS/A6 only does it when the wheels are turned sharp.

It doesn't do it if she backs up straight. And, it doesn't do it when I'm standing outside listening.

She has, on a couple of occassions heard it when turning the wheels sharply and going forward. (Like getting out of a parallel parking spot.)

She took it to the dealer and of course - they couldn't find anything wrong.

She can't tell if the "grinding" is coming from the front or rear or middle. It's just coming from under the car.

I'd believe the brake rust, but...
* It won't do it unless the wheels are turned sharply.
* It will do it even if only parked for a few minutes. (Not just when parked overnight.)

Any ideas?
The car has wide front tires 245's and when turning very sharp and going very slow, the front of the car may feel like it is skipping(grinding) a bit over the road and pulsating a little bit. This is normal due to the wide tires and the alignment settings. You will not hear this noise when you are outside of the car and listening. It is a vibration being amplified into the cabin from the tires. This is normal and I wouldn't be concerned.

Has your wife driven your car and heard what she heard in her car? If not get her to try it out.
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote