View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Any time a person buys a new car (of any kind) they will usually be hyper-aware of "strange" sounds. I was when I bought mine. Everything will seem "wrong" if its different than you're used to, and until you learn what the "new" normal is. With 15,000 virtually trouble free miles on mine, I think I have a good measure of most typical "normal" sounds on our Stingrays.

Yes, a mechanical ticking (kind of like a sewing machine) will be normal. This is the mechanical fuel pump needed for the high pressures in direct injection. It is normally not noticeable inside with the windows up, no matter the speed. I generally only hear it with the windows down or top off at low speeds or idle, and usually only when near a wall or similar object that can reflect sound. I've never heard it anywhere else nor with radio playing or top out in the highway. If you hear a ticking even over such background noise, it is not normal and I would seek additional service.

As for squeaks and rattles, they were normal for C4s and even C5s, but not now. The chassis is rock solid, and the way parts are designed along with new materials used make virtually all such noises a thing of the past. Now, there will be some very rare squeaks, mostly from the roof panel, and only on very rough roads. Its impossible to eliminate them entirely, especially since to roof is removeable and Stingrays have much firmer suspensions compared to most cars, but they are not common or normal. If you have any persistent squeaks or rattles that can be heard even in smoother roads, take it in. Again, 15000 squeak free miles tell me quiet is the norm. Although, it can be very challenging at times to pinpoint what actually causes the squeaks.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote