View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Man that sucks. Too bad you also didn't know you dad has no legal right to report the car stolen and have you arrested. It doesn't matter who's name it is in. If you have legal permission to the car, and you been the one making payments, then the police will only tell your dad this is a civil matter. Now your dad can come and take the car from you but you also can go and take it back. I have been in this situation before. I should say that a girl I was dating was in this situation with an ex where a car was in his name but she was the one making payments. Police got involved and this is what they said and walked away. Was 100% civil matter.

Now he may be able to talk to the bank about having a voluntary repo but he also may be bluffing. who wants a repo on their credit report? And if you called the bank and explained the situation and still continue to make payments, they probably wouldn't even allow a voluntary repo.

At this point if I was you, I would call the bank and let them know what's up and that you will continue to make payments. Tell the bank what is up and see if they will not allow your dad to repo it as long as there are payments. Most likely they don't want a repo, they may lose a lot of money themselves.