View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #703
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
[QUOTE=Revalot;10983582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
They said the replacement pump was faulty, waiting on parts again, should all be in by tomorrow.

This statement here above is very disheartening , when there is a part failure on the engine, and the replacement part is bad also, it makes you wonder what GM is thinking by bidding on a part from a supplier that has low quality in workmanship.

A 30k-70k car should have a parts good enough for the automobile to be paid for before needing repairs.

I retired from the state of Texas, most states like automotive companies bid on parts/contracts, needless to say the lower price bidders get the job !

Me and my family drive mostly toyota's for every day routines, they cost more, but you can get 3 times the life out of one.
I don't know that the oil pump failures are a result of a quality issue. I suspect the design of the pump is the problem. All seem to fail when the outer race cracks at the pivot point. This point is obviously a stress riser. The area of the cross section in this region does not appear to be adequate.
I'm a mechanical engineer with nearly forty year's experience in aerospace. I have seen quality take the hit for countless design issues over the years.
A good automotive analogy is the Vega, by nearly all accounts a total p.o.s. People squealed about the poor quality. While quality may have played a role, a Vega assembled from parts that were all dead nuts to their respective engineering nominal configuration i.e. 'perfect' quality, would still be a piece of crap.
If quality were to blame for pump failures, gm would beat up on the supplier. Since they're continually rolling the part number, they are apparently tweaking the part design.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote