View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #41
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
The noises and vibrations you get using 6th at 45 mph is lugging.

It's shockwaves going through the bottom end of the motor and is very bad for pistons, rods and engine bearings. It's a result of insufficient piston speed after ignition, when the air/fuel charge is detonated by the spark plug it wants to expand, and if it can't push the piston out of the way fast enough you get that sound and vibration as a result. Some motors are more effected by lugging than others, i.e. air-cooled VW motors hated it and American V8s tend to be more difficult to damage by lugging, but it's possible and the owner's manual warns against it specifically.
I figured they were not good but I'm trying to be civil with the guy arguing that it isn't. I didn't know exactly where the lugging point is or isn't, but either way I try to shift into 6th when above 50 mph because the vibrations are both unsettling/annoying and seem possibly damaging to me. Usually try to shift between 1500-2k to be safe.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote