View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #40
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I clearly stated it wasn't actually lugging to go into 6th before 50mph. I shared my driving/shifting style and my preference to shift at 50 mph to 6th, although if I'm already in 6th and it dips to 45 mph I just leave it.

Shifting to 6th at 50 mph isn't driving for "fun" or because I "feel" good it's to avoid an obvious annoying amount of vibration and noise.

I like to keep my rpms as low as possible unless I'm purposely getting into it, but those 45 mph noises and vibrations are annoying when one is listening to music or conversing with a passenger and easily avoided by shifting to 6th 5mph or a couple of hundred rpms later.

I agree with your data based statement that the engine is rated and designed to perform from 1k rpm to 6+k, but there's also plenty of things that manufacturers make that are designed to perform to a certain standard that still have optimal operation practices in the real world for longevity.
The noises and vibrations you get using 6th at 45 mph is lugging.

It's shockwaves going through the bottom end of the motor and is very bad for pistons, rods and engine bearings. It's a result of insufficient piston speed after ignition, when the air/fuel charge is detonated by the spark plug it wants to expand, and if it can't push the piston out of the way fast enough you get that sound and vibration as a result. Some motors are more effected by lugging than others, i.e. air-cooled VW motors hated it and American V8s tend to be more difficult to damage by lugging, but it's possible and the owner's manual warns against it specifically.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote