View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #103
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I think the Base and Tech Pack GT350 owners have a legitimate beef. From what I read so far, it looks like these things are going into limp noodle mode before the tires are heated up. In fact, one guy said that he and two other GT350's had to pull off the track while they were still doing the follow the leader part of their HPDE (where everyone follows a lead car slowly to get the feel for the track before they cut you loose). AND, there were several Mustang GT's out there all day. If you buy a car purpose built for the track, even in it's most base form, it must be able to make it past the intro to the track part of the event. It is not like these guys were actually racing them on the road course.

Not to mention, it is the transmission that is heating up (at least that is the info right now), and it is a MANUAL transmission (auto is not available). How in the world is the manual trans heating up so hot when they are not even pushing the car anywhere near it's potential? I can see the automatic heating up, but the manual? Some GT350 guys are speculating that the cats are too close to the trans. This sounds like a major flaw in a track focused car to me.

On top of that, Ford didn't allow folks to choose BOTH the Track and Tech Packs together. You had to choose one or the other. So, I can see how a lot of guys thought "I will only take it to the track a couple of times a year, and I won't race, just an HPDE once in a while. Plus, I want the tech goodies. I will just get the tech pack."

Also, for '17, all GT350's come with the coolers necessary for track use. Sounds like they fixed the issue going forward, but what about the 15/16 base and tech pack cars (which looks like about 2/3 of the cars made)? For should make things right for those cars immediately.

I am willing to guess that most every car in Ford's lineup could do an HPDE without going into limp noodle mode, EXCEPT the Base and Tech Pack GT350's (the most track focused Mustang in history as marketed by Ford). All the other Mustangs can for sure.

Ouch!
Agree. And ouch unfortunately for the 3 at PBIR last Thurs night... I feel bad because they're all in the Novice group, and the track was crowded so freight train effect... and then they each had to pit in after 15-20mins (roughly 6 laps or so)... PBIR is not a long course like Sebring. I'd be pissed too...

There were 4 of us total with GT350's but I have the Track pack. I don't run in their Novice group since I run in the other group (Intermed/Advance). I took out both of the Tech pack guys with me each for a quick 10mins or so session so they can experience the course at a much faster pace... one was all new to hpde's and he still hit limp mode in 3 out of his 4 sessions.

Anyway this was during my 3rd session that night and here was one of the runs with the second guy. We had fun and since I had a passenger I was driving 8/10ths to be safe... I know the PBIR course quite well. At the end of the vid, you can hear him complain about not going out anymore since he hit limp mode in his. I Hope Ford makes it right for all the Tech/base car owners...

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote