View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #406
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Can't disagree with your responses. The 350R is faster around that particular track. I would like to see how it compares around other tracks too. Remember our GT500 vs ZL1 track discussion? Take one track - might not tell the whole story. 10 straight laps around VIR grand west would suffice

I will simply point out: if you're going to buy an off the shelf track car today, the Z/28 is by far the best deal. MSRP means nothing unless that's what people actually pay...which it isn't. The Z/28's can be had for less than $60k right now. Nothing Ford makes can beat that performance value. An R will be impossible to find and a regular 350 will cost as much and be slower than the Z (although you could argue be much more livable).

I just can't see paying Z06 money for a 2-seater 350R. You could make an argument that it is the better drivers car (highly subjective) but it's still slower in every measurable way.

Once 350R production catches up to demand and prices drop down to MSRP levels, it will be the performance value leader...unless of course the 6th gen track Camaro is available by then.
Agreed. However since this is the only same day same driver comparison right now, it is all we have to go by.

And yes I can not argue if you are buying something today the Z/28 is in a incredible value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post

Yes, if you just look strictly at MSRP these cars are pretty equivalent. Except that You can get creature comforts in the 350R that you can not get in the Z/28 for 10K less or if you just wanted the 5.2 you can get a base 350 or track pack 350 or a tech pack 350. For those that just wanted a LS7 Camaro, you had to go full blown Z/28.

Agreed (prior post) - GM ergonomics suck balls and if we begin comparing engine reliability, Ford wins over the questionable LS7 issues.

The cars were driven by the same driver same day. Not to mention that Randy is a pretty damn good driver. Yeah I am sure the average joe driving both cars might be able to get one faster than the other, but this test had a professional driver drive both cars. Can't really say a different driver here would make the Z faster.

Too close to call either way, the Z has superior brakes and the R has wider tires. Hence the driver mod comment and I've seen a Z driven harder than this video. We are going to see dozens more of these from all sides of the journalism field and I expect varying results going both ways.

For those that didn't watch the entire video, the Z/28 walked away leading the majority of the video,

Actually if you watch the video, you will see the R is ahead most of the way. Carried more speed into the turns, and accelerated out of the corners faster(which was a point that Randy made the the R put the power down better) The Z was right there slightly, and on the last turn the R really pulled ahead. Ask some of these guys that have actually raced on a road course. Over a second on a road course is huge.

the only reason the 350 won was the "drag race at the end".

Again false, while I am sure it had a little bit of influence, MT knows that both of these cars are track cars, but since its Mustang and Camaro they had to drag race. And also that entire segment of the video, looks to me as if it was done to be comedic, with the mullet hair on the Camaro driver

My statement was based on the overall review at 22:00, "I'm this close to crowning a victor, but these are muscle cars and the only way Ford is winning overall is if it wins the drag race...". Misquoted for sure.

The 2015 pro racing season and Stevenson motorsports already proved the Z/28 is the best track car available. Once price becomes a factor, Ford fails miserably at $40k+ more and once you take a step back and realize this is a 6th gen vs. 5th gen.....just...no words. I have no doubt GM will continue to dominate for several years to come.

Who cares about pro racing season? Unless they are taking the cars out of the show room and racing them as is I don't care.

Yes this old gen vs new gen that debate has been beat to death. And as impressive as the 6th Gen SS is, I have no doubts that GM will build something to one up the 350R and do it with ease.

The pro racing circuit has a tendency to equalize things so we see a more realistic comparison between different manufacturers. Both motors were sandbagged/chocked off and the Z lost its brakes, I am not up to par with what else was done to the R. At the end of the season between the 5 cars, I believe it was Z, Z, R, Z, R ? I could look it up and there are a ton of valid arguments over 1/2 second here, blew some tire there but from a high level this simply means the cars are basically twins with different creature comforts.

:cheers: The only thing I will counter you counter points, is you stated the pro racing teams, the cars are sandbagged/choked off, the Z lost it's brakes. That pretty much makes them not the same vehicle anymore if you ask me.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote