View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #116
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Weird, I had two of them, bought used - the 1st one I loved it was perfect. I sold it for a big profit. I bought another one with Low mileage, but it was a PoS
What issues where you having? Sound like you must of gotten a lemon. Relitively speaking a GEN2 L has very few common, Lightning specific issues especially if at factory PSI's. (particularly the 01-04 trucks) Some are lemons like any other vehicle though. I had a buddy named Corey with a 00 Z71 with about 200K on it and it was a POS. His brother had the exact same truck except his was and extended cab/regular bed instead of a regular cab/long bed (both 00's, both pewter, both Silverado LS Z71's, both 5.3L trucks, both always on 32" BFG All-Terrains) and you couldn't kill Tylers truck with going on 250K miles. And for an early GEN3 5.3L that truck was a beast. Only mods were an exhaust and a hand held programmer, and that truck would of likely given a New Edge GT a run for its money. It was shockingly fast for what it was. Corey's truck on the other hand was a straight up turd.

Also when I bought my 02 SS it was over 13 years old with only 31K on it. I was having a bunch of issues (most small) with it early on, but it was just because it was an old car that had sat parked for most its life. New spark plugs, new slave cylinder, new gas cap, a truck alternator, new speakers and head unit, and finding an oil it liked to quiet valve knock and excessive burnoff and it ran great and was very reliable after that, but most of these issues happened in the first 2 months after I bought it.

Like any 4 thread Modular head a 2V PI head will launch spark plugs not installed right at higher PSI's, also like other 2 and 3 valve Modulars their coil packs are subject to going bad, and their OEM rods are on borrowed time about 450ish WHP even though some have survived at 500 WHP for years (especially with a TS blower) where some have vented blocks at a little over 400 WHP. Other annoying things they may commonly see is the I/C pump going out.

The rest are just common this with those years of F150 and mostly common because of age. The thing under the dash that changes from cool to hot air is subject to breaking, and the chrome door handles inside the 03/04's (Lightning issue) will flake and eventually break. Sometimes the rear PBR's will have the pistons seize up inside the calipers. Make sure you do the wire harness recall to the master cylinder to prevent a fire. The rear glass can start leaking over time. Old Ford paint leave much to be desired but so does old GM paint.

Only issues I've had in the almost 11 years and 130K I've put on the truck is the A/C stopped blowing cold because of a leak in a line. The rearend was leaking around the seals and I changed them last year. I changed the shocks and fuel pumps at about 170K just as preventive maintenance. I've done a couple brake jobs and changed the ball joints/steering components that had gotten old. Other than that it's been rock solid for me.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote