View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
I'll start..

I have used Goodyear Eagle F1's (OEM ZL1 set up), Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285 front, 315 rear on OEM ZL1 wheels, and Yokohama ADVAN AD08R, 305 square set up on 19"x10.5" TSW Wheels.

Obviously my comparison between the three isn't exactly a level playing field since they are different widths and in some instances (Yokohama's) are different wheel sizes. But here is my evaluation and thoughts..

Goodyear Eagle F1's (285x20 front, 305x20 rear, both on OEM ZL1 wheels): The Goodyear's were an overall worse tire than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, particularly when cold. Once warmed up they showed reasonable levels of grip. They had fairly good feed back as to when at or near the limit, but showed signs of overheating and washing out fairly easy (in Texas summer conditions). No comment on rain conditions as it relates to track use.

Michelin Pilot Super Spot (285x20 front, 315x20 rear, both on OEM ZL1 wheels): The Michelin's showed better handling characteristics when cold as compared to the Goodyears. Once heated up I felt grip levels where above that of the Goodyears and feedback at or near the limit also was fairly linear, making it a predictable tire. Like the Goodyears the Michelins will overheat becoming particularly greasy requiring a cool down lap to bring them back to performance levels. No comment on rain conditions as it relates to track use.

Yokohama ADVAN AD08R (305x19 square set up on 19x10.5" wheels): The Yokohama's are probably in the middle for performance when the tire is cold, slightly above the Goodyear's but below the Michelin's. Once heated up overall grip levels are about on par with the Goodyear's but once again just a little bit below the Michelin's. The Yokohama has fantastic feedback and will "talk" to the driver fairly easy. One characteristic the Yokohama's have above the Goodyear and the Michelin is it handles heat better, getting much less greasy once hot and able to sustain more continuous laps. My last track event at NCM during Camaro Fest was a complete wash out and it was there I discovered these tires do not handle the wet very well, at least not corner entry or exit. Straight line grip seemed to be reasonable given the conditions. Unfortunately I do not have experience with either the Goodyear's or Michelin's in the rain so I cannot compare them.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote