Thread: Z/28
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
Sounds good, I didn't realize that.

Well, let me say that a $90K Z/28 is a non starter with me. If it's purpose is to compete with a GT350/R, pricing it $30,000 more than it's competitor would be foolish.

The ZL1 1LE is a track animal, but does it fulfill the Z/28 legacy? You could certainly do 10 threads just on that topic. The SS 1LE is probably the closest thing to the original Z/28 formula in the line up right now. Also keep in mind that Ford developed a super expensive FPC motor for the GT350 and priced it in the $50's. A "hot cammed" LT1 could be developed for peanuts in comparison.

Call me old fashioned, but I just think a normally aspirated, free revving smallblock is a spiritual experience and is what should power a Z/28. Imagine not needing a couple hundred pounds of coolers and ancillaries to support a supercharger. It would be a different driving experience, on the road and on the track.

Be true to the Z/28 lineage, push those emotional car buttons that so many of us have, price it in the $57-$65K range like it's direct competitors and even if it wouldn't match a monster ZL1 1LE around the 'ring, who cares. But I'd betcha it'd be a driver's race.
Would you like to see a Z/28 usurp the SS 1LE in the lineup? I know a bunch of guys that have done a cam/headers/tune to these pushrod V8s on their own. How different does a factory Z/28 need to be? Personally, I like the idea of the 14-15s being very raw, luxury-delete cars. Is the pony car rivalry in a place where the ZL1 1LE is too much and the most successful (selling) car will be the less gaudy one that backs off the genital measuring contest? Also, the original 67-68 Z/28 had the 302 whereas a true modern 302 would be compared to the V6.

I'm just asking trying to further the thoughts and discussion here.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote