View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #12
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Been thinking about this some more and while my experience with Elite Engineering is that they aren't the brightest bulb in the tree when it comes to customer service and marketing, they should market a sound tube delete option for our cars. A silicon intake tube and a plug. Sell that for $100 and make $ hand over fist.

Right now we have to convince ourselves to pay $500 for the courtesy of deleting our sound tube and changing the shape of our our air filter.

And Elite could open the most optimum place in our engine bay to place a CC. Short lines, physically lower, space to open it for service. Another win win.
Wonder if they are listening?

I am also seeing what looks like an 8mm drilled and tapped hole on the engine in that area that may be able to be used with their LT1 mount or E2 mount or better yet, a newly designed E2 mount bracket. Not sure if the E2 will fit there though since there are some wires and connectors close by. the custom bracket design could take that into account.
Was also thinking about the rubber hose install with the E2 in the sound generator location area. There, the hose requires a bend +- 120 degree- 180 degree change in direction to connect to the PCV ports on the engine. Rubber collapses over time if bent too tightly, so the possibility of a restriction exists. Probably need to make a rounder more sweeping direction change, using more hose, so the rubber does not collapse over time with several heat and cool cycles.

Either way, I am thinking a carefully engineered bracket for the sound tube generator location needs to be designed to place the E2 in the optimum location in that area and be able to easily unscrew the reservoir for emptying without interfering with any of the factory wiring etc there already.

Re: the sound tube delete. I found a 'sharkbite 1" brass plug', used for water lines, on the home depot web site. Looked like it would be a good fit for the hole left in the intake tube after deleting the sound generator fitting. Clean look too. Hoping to reuse the existing crimp hose clamp. Ordered one to try out. Need to see it; couldn't get a feel for its dimensions on paper.

Still working on a firewall solution. Might just use the factory sound tube fitting there and cap it.

SO anyway, a side bar to the sound tube and generator..... yesterday i removed the sound tube, drove around for awhile, put the sound tube back into service and drove the same route. The sound tube definitely adds another pleasing dimension to the sound of the engine; especially the more you push the throttle. Definitely like; maybe, probably, could live without it.

FWIW $100 for a sound tube delete kit is more than i would spend. Maybe $25 for the kit and $10 for a custom bracket. Just my thoughts....
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote