View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #50
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
40+ years under low mileage...probably should have said that. My 79 has just under 50,000 miles on it. So on the 5th gen I wouldn't put any more than 100,000. That's what i meant.
Ahhh... that makes more sense then.

Either way, I would still say that the liklihood of either transmission failing on you or having any problems would be about equal.

I know that in the past manual transmissions were known to have greater longevity than autos, but todays transmissions are all built equally well. Of course it all depends on how you drive it. If you drop the clutch in a manual transmission repeatedly, you can't expect for it to hold up to that abuse without developing some problems.

I know in the past that manual transmissions were typically much cheaper to work on, but I don't know if that is the case anymore or not either.

Transmissions are like any other piece of machinery, if you take care of it, it will last. However, the failure rate between the two is certainly not significant enough to conclude than one is more reliable than the other.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote