View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #128
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu T View Post
Has wk'd like a charm for months... until this fuel stop! I inserted key, turned to unlock, and cap wouldn't come off. I attempted to turn key back into locked position (so I could take key out & try again), but it wouldn't budge! I quickly realized:
1. couldn't get key out!
2. couldn't get cap off, fuel up, or shut fuel door & drive away... even if my husband brought me the spare key!!
It was embarrassing when the gentleman at the pump next to me realized I was having an issue. He managed to get the cap off, but still could not turn or remove the key from the lock. ...long story short, I cursed it & hit the cap several times while yanking on the key fob, and eventually got the key out. BUT it sounded like I was pulling it out of a pile of rocks? I fueled up, & had no choice except to put the cap back on. (Had a 40+ mile drive home).

Question: My husband said shoot WD40 in lock & try to insert the key again. I'm just a bit gun shy to do that without a backup cap with me. Have any of you had a similar problem with yours? There's a lot of plastic inside that cap... Wouldnt it be better to dip key into a bit of detailer spray (silicone based), instead of using a petroleum product to lubricate the lock? I'm thinking with all of the rain, heat, & humidity lately, maybe it's just oxidation on the metal housing causing tumblers to stick?
Listen to your husband!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote