View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Spring Mountain Ron Fellows Driving School

Well, after the first day of my 2-day school, I can tell you all it is well worth the money! I've had a great experience so far, and have learned a lot about the capabilities of the Stingray, and of myself. And of a few old habits I need to kick. Everyone here has so far been very friendly, helpful and willing to spend the time with you individually if needed to get that tricky technique down. While there has been some inside class time, it has so far been a rather small portion of the school. The majority of time is indeed spent on the track in the car.

Note that it is not all just high speed runs around the full track. That is not the point of the school. You could do that at any local track day event. The point is to teach you new tools in order to safely drive the car at those track days, as fast as you can. The first day here is more about learning the individual skills, such as proper braking, situational awareness, etc. You do get several laps of lead-follow in order to put the pieces all together, but they keep the speeds relatively low (70s and 80s!) so you understand the skills as a whole. Additional, faster lapping will come day 2 along with more advanced skills.

Keep in mind, you will NOT be the next Ron Fellows after completing this school! That would require far, far more in-seat experience than is available in a 2 or 3 day school. In fact, Spring Mountain actually has 3 skill levels of courses. This is Level 1. Additional skills are taught in 2 and 3, and more track time is included. And certainly the more practice, the better you will become. One nice thing is that many of these skills can in fact be practiced during all your normal every day driving (well, maybe heel-toe shifting might not be the best thing to do while running for groceries!).

Below are a few photos my nephew took during the day. I'm in the Cyber Gray #01 car in these.
Attached Images

'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote