View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
I understand your concerns. I've been driving Corvettes for 25 years and every time we travel overnight I am paranoid. But trips in Corvettes are so much fun that I force myself to overcome my concerns. As someone said, “That is what insurance is for.” I'll take the chance, but I do try to mitigate some of the risk. I follow a plan I developed many years ago.

First, I research the crime rate of an area before I make hotel reservations. I do this by using the website http://www.city-data.com/crime/. If the crime rate is too high, I select another location. We usually stay at Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns as their beds are the most comfortable for our bad backs and they are usually located in good areas. I park at the front of the hotel within line of sight of the front door and under a light. I never park in the back of the hotel. At registration I request a room facing the front parking lot, so that I can see the car from the room. When I wake up during the night I look out the window and check on the car. It makes me feel better to be able to do so. I do this on every trip, not just when we travel in a Corvette. My wife thinks I overdo it. My response is that I am in charge of our safety and security and I take my job seriously. All has been well so far. Hopefully it will continue to be so. None of this is an iron clad guarantee that nothing will happen, but perhaps it helps and is better than no plan at all.

We have a trip in the C7 to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes Wine Trail planned for late May. I can hardly wait for our first overnight road trip in this awesome car! Life is short. Have fun and enjoy the journey, is my motto.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote