View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #304
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

Much of the pot-stirring going on in here is from thinly disguised Dearborn-inclined folks who currently have ZERO to compare with this car, and are likely 15 months away from having an "announced" possibility.

What is the price of a BOSS 302-S? $89,995 PLUS OPTIONS. NO warranty, NO serial number. Can't take to Cars 'n Coffee without the trailer.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11687

"$75,000 for THIS Camaro?! Are you freakin' NUTZ?"

Move along, folks. Nothing to see, here.
I was hoping someone would recognize this comparison, thank you sir. It's really the most reasonable comparison to anything else currently being sold by a North American nameplate.

As Enlightening You also helpfully (and factually! sheesh, finally!) pointed out below the 302S has some stuff the Z does not. It's about $6k at the prices we would pay. Additionally, which he did not mention is the full cage, let's call that $2,000? So, $8k of added value in the 302S.

But the rub is the 302S has a crap rear suspension, so add a Watts Link ($2000), plus a full suspension kit to bring it to the level of the Z, another $6,000 or so, so call that +$8000 to the 302S price.

The final big difference is the brakes. The 302S, for a street car, much less a race car, has terrible, horrible, dreadful brakes. Add something from Stoptech or Brembo that compares to the Z/28 OE setup, and you are spending another $15,000.

Bottom line, fair comparison is Z/28 $75,000+ $8,000 = $83,000. 302S with added upgrades to match Z/28 is $90,000+$15,000+$8000=$113,000.

The 302S can never, ever, be street legal. The Z/28, no problem.

The 302S is no warranty, for anything. The Z/28 is warranty for street and track use!

The 302S has lower revving, lower HP engine.

I'd be quite willing to bet that in a road course time trial, with a stock out of the box 302S vs a stock out of the box Z/28, the Z/28 would be 10% quicker. I know the magazine writers read the forums, make it happen? Use Sonoma or Laguna Seca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
Bit of a difference here.. The 302-S is a classed race car ready for a number of SCCA and NASA race classes. It's not a street legal vehicle at all, it's actually a race car. What classes are the street legal Z/28's spec'd to compete in again?

Is the Z/28 equipped with these items?

AIM data acquisition system with GPS
Recaro HANS Pro Racer seat
Fire system with 2 nozzles
Quick release racing steering wheel
Window net
AMB Transponder
Safety system triangle nets
6 point racing harness
Master cut off switch
I looked very hard at buying either a 302S or 302R a couple years ago. I'm quite clear on understanding what they do and do not offer. In comparison, for my use, recreational tracking, the Z/28 is the hands down no-brainer choice. And I can drive the Z/28 on the street if I choose to.

The other elephant in the room that no one talks about is the value of a factory engineered track car. I've had my fill of the bolt-on game, and it is a massive pain in the ass and time sink. How much time/energy/money have I wasted mucking with making something work and troubleshooting setups- a lot. The GM team has already dealt with all this sh*t, so all I have to do is drive and pay for tires and gas. In my world, the value of that is...priceless.

People complaining about $75k have no idea what's involved with building up a fast, reliable track car.

Oh yeah- for those of you that care, take a look at completed EBay listings for 302S's. Max bids for zero-mile new cars are running high $67k'ish. Further proof that the Z/28 pricing is spot-on (it's more car out of the box than 302S).

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote