View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #18
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyDavis View Post
Well,

New car is almost here. It just got bayed, so I'll have to decide rather quickly, but I think I'm going to skip the Clear Bra.

In part, it feels a lot like the people who buy nice new phones and then plate them in tons of armor so they never get scratched... so they never get to use the actual phone, because all they use is the armor.

Now I know Clear Bra isn't nearly as noticeable, but I have other issues:

1. I hate the line it creates on the front where it ends. It does look like someone keyed your car (very precisely).
2. I hate having to worry about 'taking care of it' and using different things to wash/wax it than I would with my regular car.
3. It's really expensive, as there's no place near here, so I'd have to have someone come do it to the tune of around $1200.
4. $1200 buys a lot of touch-up paint and body work.
5. I think that just accepting that it will have some minor scratches over time is preferable to worrying about every little blemish for the entire 10+ year life of the car.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
1. I see no lines in mine. Actually even at 1 foot away, you can't see the lines unless you know EXACTLY where to look

2. You don't "take care" of it any different than you normally would your paint.

3. Find some independent installers in your area. I got 3M installed for my entire front end for $XXX. YES $XXX. It took him 2 hours to finish but he came HIGHLY recommended on various forums. He did mention that he probably would not do another Camaro for less than $500 since it was much bigger than he anticipated. But still much cheaper than $1200 that you were quoted. He would even do the gills and side of the rear bumper for another $250.

4. See above.

5. That's fine if you can live with seeing a million chips. I know I can't.

Last edited by Nessal; 08-19-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Took out the pricing in respect to the installer.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote