View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 09:33 PM   #22
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Important note: your ZL1 1LE comes calibrated for the 100tw SC3R tires that come with the car. The original poster's SS 1LE is calibrated for less grippy 220tw SC3 tires. In his case, when using PTM the car's expectation of the maximum available grip is lower than what his 3R tire can provide.

When I run 3R tires on my SS 1LE I normally start in PTM Dry or Sport 1 (depending on how cold it is) and change it to the next mode every lap or two and test available grip in slow/safe corners before holding the traction control button down for about 7 seconds to fully turn everything off before going at full pace. I have previously had unexpected big snap oversteer even 3 minutes into warming up the 3Rs with everything off and know of several others who have spun out on them while they're cold. I tried PTM Race at Barber on 3Rs and it works but looking back at the PDR video I was seeing a lot of intervention on corner exits in places where I got no intervention on the stock SC3 tires which means the car was holding back power because of the difference between the tires it is programmed for vs. the tires I was using. I could not feel this intervention while driving. Sometimes I can feel/hear intervention in PTM Race on the SC3 tires but sometimes it is slight enough that I can't. In Sport 1 and Sport 2 I can normally hear and feel any PTM intervention. The % lap time difference between SC3 and SC3R was also a little smaller than I would expect based on other tracks where I didn't use PTM with the 3Rs.
Yes, points well made, the SS 1LE's PTM I would safely assume is designed for the stock tires and brakes. Change the parameters and the system can't make the right decisions. Hence for the OP starting with the SC3 (not R's ) and stock brakes is recommended to make the most of the PTM.

I have spun out on cold 3Rs, they must be warmed up. Also seen ZL1 1LE drivers put their cars in the wall on 1st lap out.

Don't know, but likely agree the differences are probably not huge with the 3's vs 3R's, but that's when you get to advanced and start to run the car on the line at its limits.

The 3Rs decline as they're used like most R compound tires. You have a very few really good laps before they fall off. Its a 2s difference for me at COTA between new and slightly used.