View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelt1 View Post
Yeah I'm definitely going to consider rear SS wheels and keeping the stock LT1 wheels (haven't done enough research, but I'm assuming the front wheels on the SS and LT1 are identical). Great post by the way and it makes a lot of sense to me why staggered is better.

Now excuse my stupidity here, but I'm a bit confused as I heard that the speedometer can be off? I'm not sure what it is I'm hearing, but I think I either heard that it was just people putting bigger tires on smaller stock wheels and/or that changing the wheels can also cause speedometer accuracy issues due to the car's electronics being set up for only stock conditions. Do you know anything about this?
You are not stupid at all, Sir. Here is a good guide for tire sizing: https://tiresize.com/comparison

All you need to do is input your current and desired sizes, and it will tell you every difference incurred, including the speedo display. As you can see in my screenshot below, the overall diameter (height) difference in your case would be approx. -0.4%, which is hardly detectable. These websites aren't 100% accurate and they can't be, because nominal vs actual tire sizes vary by manufacturer and load etc., but they're good for reliable ballpark estimates.

Make sure you also consider wheels, not just tires, your car came with 8.5" wide wheels and trying to fit a 275 or 285 wide tire on those is ill-advised, hence the recommendation for takeoff 9.5" SS rear wheels.

The rule of thumb with the 6th gen Camaro is that you are okay with changing wheel/tire sizes as long as you 1) don't go crazy, because the wheel well or the suspension will be in the way, and 2) keep the aggregate front-to-back difference from stock at or under 3%, otherwise the ABS and Stabilitrak systems will throw errors and may stop functioning correctly.

To illustrate this "~3% rule", say, you make the front tires shorter by 1.4% and the rears taller by 1.1%, then the total difference is 2.5% and you're good. Make the fronts 3.5% shorter and the rears 1.5% shorter, the resulting aggregate difference is 2% and you're good again. However, if you, say, increase the front tire height by 3% and decrease the rear by 1.4%, the overall delta is 4.4% and you're in trouble.

(Note also that practically every car overcorrects speed a bit from the factory, indicating higher than actual, so if your new wheel/tire choice results in a slightly lower than actual displayed speed, it may actually be closer to the truth. This isn't the case with stock SS rear sizing, though.)

Finally, once you're comfortable with the basics, the Koenigsegg of wheel and tire sizing websites is www.wheel-size.com, you will be able to tweak every little detail and see all aspects of the changes your new sizing brings.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote