View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #1270
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
https://www.thedrive.com/news/2025-r...range-extender

Look at that if I understood it right the V6 just charges the electric power train and you can just fill it with gas or charge it. I would personally just fill it with gas its faster.
It would also be less efficient and would also not be taking advantage of the real characteristics of the engine. You’d be converting combustible energy and kinetic to electric energy (at some minimal efficiency loss) then converting the electric energy to kinetic energy (at some minimal loss of efficiency). On one hand, the ICE has minimal emissions, since it will be pretty much operating at constant, possibly minimal load. On the other hand, peak power and pearl torque will likely never be achieved. Output would be limited to what the battery can accept and/or what is needed to power the electric motor. I’m curious why Stellantis isn’t using a less powerful, less expensive engine for the job.

The Chevrolet Volt operated under the same principle. It was almost always driven by the electric motor. Even when the engine (one of the cheapest, lowest powered engines in the GM portfolio at the time) was running, it pretty much droned at mid-range rpm and charged the battery. The engine wasn’t powerful or efficient because it didn’t need to be.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote