View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #1074
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Near horizon tech leading to rapid value depreciation:[/B] Could be an issue, but it will be manufacturer dependent. Tesla has been continuously changing their battery technology with absolutely no notice to current owners. Or really anybody, for that matter. I happened to be able to see disassembled 2020 and 2023 Model Ys side by side. The differences in the battery content is amazing. But the 2023 battery pack drops right into a 2020. GM has stated that their Ultium battery packs will support cells with different design generations and chemistries operating in the same pack. In other words, you can replace individual modules and even cells, and therefore not have to replace an entire battery pack. For other functionality, automakers are going to Over the Air (OTA) vehicle software and firmware updates for both ICE and EV. Tesla has been doing OTA since day one.
When it comes to battery and Tesla, it obviously needs to be contained to the same cell design. Your 2023 vs 2020 Y, as long as it is a model with the 2170 battery it is true. If it is a Model Y with the new 4680 battery, to my knowledge it's not as the 4680 is meant to be structural with the car.

They have adopted the 2170 battery to the new mega cast method of assembling the Y, but haven't heard of adopting the 4680 to the older method of building the Y.

Though my information is way out of date as I have stopped following the absolute latest with Tesla.

Quote:
Poor performance in cold temperatures:[/B] Without a doubt. So are ICE vehicles. But there are differences in how this is addressed. With an ICE you can easily find a nearby gas station. With a BEV most owners will already be plugging the vehicle in every night. So arguably for my newest EV I go from having 318 miles of available range to having [guessing] 220 miles of available range. If I’m driving 45 miles total that day, does it really matter? Maybe I drive 80…150. It won’t matter in the long run UNLESS I’m driving more than the full range of the vehicle on any particular day. If that was something that happened often in my life, I’d probably not buy an EV. Or I’d do what I’ll probably be doing with this one. If we need to make long trips we’ll just take another car. Or rent something. That situation is likely to occur at most once a year.
Not to mention there methods to help mitigate the cold temps effect to EV's.

Before driving, pre-condition the car. If the battery is cold, the car will also heat up the battery. If you're plugged in, the car is using shore power to do it vs robbing power from the battery to heat itself. Or setup the car if possible to charge right before you depart. Act of charging the battery will heat up the battery.

Heat pump is also better than PTC as a way to heat the car.

When it comes to charging on the road.....Many have probably read about last christmas when a cold snap hit the country people reporting charging issues. The issue is two fold...... Non-Tesla EV's don't pre-condition the battery for fast charging. So battery is too cold to accept the fast rates. Non-Tesla chargers reliability is atrocious. All of those reports were based off non-Tesla experiences. It's an issue, but it's not one that should have people declare, " EV's suck, never going to buy one" unsurmountable.

All OEM's need to do is when you're navigating to a fast charger like Tesla is program a way to heat up the battery to accept faster rates. Tesla's did not experience as bad of a time over that cold snap as non-Tesla's because of the pre-conditioning( when setup properly by the driver) and superchargers are reliable.

I see about a 20% hit in efficiency in the winter over summer. Granted 20% is more than the 10-12% hit ICE vehicles see, but it isn't atrocious like the 40% hit PTC EV's see.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote