View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 11:27 AM   #10
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammYyYyY View Post
Not necessarily about pinching pennies, 15W-50 is more readily available, and is categorically better for track use; I drive my car hard on the street too, so knowing that there is extra viscosity for bearing protection would be nice so long as I’m not committing any other damage.

Also, GM engineers are the same people that designed a faulty oil pump and a wet sump oiling system in a literal track car; the mere notion that I have to switch to 15W-50 weight oil for track days IS stupid, so maybe watch your tone next time you decide to turn a blind eye to some of their stupidity
The state of the art dry sump C8 Z06 runs M1 5w-50. M1 true racing oil is 0w-50. If you run any high performance car on track hard up to super high temps you are always better switching to a 50 weight oil, this is not stupid. In my opinion it's stupid to run a non-1LE ZL1 on track with 0w40.

And btw, know of any ZL1 1LE engine failures on track from oil starvation due to the wet-sump? I have not heard of any reported. But I do know of several dry-sump C7 failures from oil starvation among fellow drivers here at my tracks in CA.

I run M1 15w50 year round because I do minimal driving between track days and it's never that cold in CA, but I wouldn't recommend 15w50 in below freezing weather in UT unless you're starting car in a heated garage and let it warm up--then you'd be fine. And M1 5w50 would be fine.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 07-29-2023 at 11:40 AM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote