Thread: Z/28
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 06:48 AM   #74
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Was trying to stay outta this train wreck, but since I’ve been called out, here goes…

Could GM make a last run of ‘25 Z28?
Sure they could. Model year rules say that a model year can only have one January 1st so they could start the ‘24 model year in July or August and run it through sometime in January, end ‘24 MY and start ‘25 MY.

What would be the motivation?
I can’t think of a good one. Maybe to establish an instant collectible. But isn’t that what the Panther Commemorative Edition is all about? So again, what is the motivation?

Well, if they put the LT6 in it, that would be special!
Let’s work our way back to Blackwing. The engine, not the car (confused yet?) When GM ended the the CT6 Blackwing, the only vehicle ever to use the Blackwing engine, auto analysts everywhere (I’m an auto analyst, so I was one of them) said “maybe the Blackwing engine could drop into the CT5 V-Series Blackwing”. Seemed reasonable. One Powertrain forecaster at the time (me) even created a Camaro forecast that had the Blackwing engine going into a top end Camaro. Until a GM engineer kindly explained that Blackwing doesn’t package in the Alpha platform. Not the CT5, definitely not the Camaro. Immediately removed from forecast So what does that have to do with LT6? LT6 was codeveloped with the Blackwing engine on the same DOHC platform that doesn’t package in Alpha. Dream crushed.

So we’re back to “what is GM motivation to pump out a few ‘25 Z28 pieces at the end of the ‘24 Camaro run?” I got nothin’. And that’s what I think this whole thing is…nothin’.
The only thing I can dream up is the same guy that changed the Z28 to the ZL1 1 week before the Chicago auto show has a say in it.

Or even better Mary Barra wants to look like the the last bastion of ICE loving CEOs. Remember Rick Wagner got his SSR. And remember the stupid crap they did to “launch on time” to meet his commitment date. This could be a go simply as a directive from Mary. And as much as people (even on this site) like to blast her. This really wouldn’t surprise me.

GM has certainly done some head scratching things in my career there so let’s hope there is one more here.