Thread: Autocross Help
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
As with a lot of first timers to an autocross you're over-thinking it. A bone-stock car is very well set up. Chevrolet engineers our cars to do everything well. Leave the car in drive and let it shift on its own. I did 1 lap in a '16 SS auto, and it was always in the power.

Don't adjust anything on the suspension unless something is way wrong. The best advice would be to get an instructor to ride shotgun for a few laps, and then let the instructor drive your car for 1 or 2 laps. They will be able to push the car near its limit, and tell you if something needs to be addressed. Most cars will behave perfectly at 8/10ths. It isn't until you push the car near the max (9-10/10ths), that you'll see its flaws.

Check tire pressure after every run, and try to take note on how the tires are behaving. You're running a road race type tire, so they can handle heat really well. A top shelf autocross tire will get up to temp fast, but get too hot after a few runs and need to be sprayed to cool down. I doubt you'll encounter a problem with Supercar tires.

Bring a cooler full of beverages, some snacks, a chair or 2, a gazebo (tie it down so it doesn't fly into a car), a small air compressor, a tire gauge, helmet, comfortable shoes, etc. You'll want to get there early and walk the course at least 4 times. Walk with someone knowledgeable, but also walk it alone once without someone talking in your ear. Too many times I see guys walking the course in groups, and they aren't really focusing on the course, they're just yapping away. Most regions will do a novice walk-through with instructors. Pay attention to what they say.

This^^^^

If you have the choice to work or drive the course first always work the course first so you can watch.

You will most likely put the car in 2nd gear and leave it there.

Momentum is king, being smooth is king. Snatching the car around and spinning tires SEEMS fast but isn't. What seems slow is really fast.

Keep your eyes up and look where you want to go, your hands will take you where your eyes are looking.