View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #88
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I’m curious how many current and prior Camaro owners actually cared about lap times prior to the 6th gen. I bet it wasn’t very many. It wasn’t until the Camaro became the lap time king for its price range that made people pay attention. The purpose of these cars when they came out in the 60’s wasn’t lap time superiority, it was straight line performance and that’s what the car was associated with its whole life until the track special 5th Gen variants came out. Then when the 6th gen came out pretty much any variant became fun to drive on track/twisty roads.

I’ll admit I didn’t care about its lap times until I bought the car and saw how nimble it was on the twisty roads nearby where I lived. That being said I don’t live near those types of roads anymore and I kind of miss having a more “cruiser” like pony/muscle car. I do road course my car 1-2 times per year but I drive it on mostly straight roads the other 99% of the time I’m driving. For me, if I decide to move to the 7th gen Mustang, I don’t think I’ll miss the handling characteristics of the alpha chassis that much except for the few times I go on the road course (assuming ford actually provides a diff cooler on the standard GT or performance pack this time around).

Coming from a '02 Porsche 911 Carrera that I used to track, I did replace it for my first muscle car, a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the track package that performed like the BMW M3 (V8) of that time, later on after my 5th gen ZL1, I bought a 6th gen Camaro SS that performed like the BMW M4 of that time, after reading about their handling performance on MT. Also the 6th gen SS1LE was performing at the level of the BMW M2 Competition.
Yes you would see many getting attracted to Muscle cars and the Corvette C6, C7 & C8 because of their competitive handling VS Porsche.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote