View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #39
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Here in CA (ACS, Buttonwillow, WSIR) all the savvy and fast GT3/RS, McLaren, Corvette, GT350 guys have ditched the Cup 2s for 3Rs. Yes they still use Hoosiers and Pirelli slicks too, so do I :-) I was running Hoosier A7 in that pic above and got some good lap times.

If you haven't tried PSC2 on a ZL1, let me tell you from experience they truly suck. I don't know why, they're pretty good on Porsches and other cars, but on ZL1s they suck. You'll get better track performance and longevity with standard GY SC 3 (non-R), and much cheaper.

On my 18s I run Pirelli DH scrubs and get good lap times for 2-3 days, also treat them with Hot Lap softener to extend life for another weekend.

But after running new A7, I'm convinced that if I'm buying new I'll always go 3R over R7/A7 from now on.
I am not a fan in general of Michelin performance tires because they are known to have soft sidewalls and they use a bi-compound, so unless you are running a ton of negative camber, you are going to use up the outer edges quicker than the rest of the tire.

Having said that, I came out of my SS 1LE (came stock with GY SC3 tires) into my 2022 718 GT4 , which has Cup 2's as standard.

Before I got the car, I had convinced myself that I would be ditching the Cup 2's as soon as I wore thru them for the GY SC3 (since they come in stock sizes), however I just replaced them and I just could not get myself to lose the Cup 2's. I had no issue with them on the GT4 and with a track alignment I typically see between 1.4 to 1.47 lateral G's on my local on/off ramps. The best I saw on the 1LE was 1.25 and that was only on fresh tires.

From the tests I have seen the GY SC3 are just a tad slower than the Cup 2's (like hair thin difference) but I just couldn't get myself to do it. Maybe next time around.

I think the reason the Cup 2's do not do well on the Alpha Platform, especially on the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE variants is because those are heavy cars and the sidewalls are too soft for that much weight. It works on the Porsches because they (at least the GT cars) are in the 3100 to 3300 lb range.

Having said all that, there is no doubt the GY SC3 R's are a couple steps above the Cup 2's , but they are a track tire and need good heat in them to extract that extra grip. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping enough heat in the Cup 2's on the street that even if they offered the SC3 R's in stock GT4 sizes (which they do not), I would not be able to enjoy them on the street.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote