View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt51 View Post
I installed the gs25 speakers in the dash and gs690 in the doors. Sounds a lot better as the original poster stated. I am thinking about adding Alpine KTA-450 Power Pack with the diy wiring harness. Would this amp fit under the glove box area and work with harness ?
Sorry, I thought I submitted a reply to this yesterday. Not sure why it didn't come through. The dimension for this Alpine are pretty close to those of the Kicker I used. It's slightly smaller in length and width. To my recollection, the length of the Kicker was a bit too long to fit neatly inside the “Multiuse Module Bracket." I would have had to cut/trim some of the bracket. Maybe the Alpine is just smaller enough to work - I'm not sure. The only way to know is to remove that bracket and trial fit the amp. That's not too hard to do, though. Another possibility is mounting it behind the passenger kick panel. The Alpine's lower height might be helpful there.

The DIY harness should be fine with this amp. The Alpine specs say it accepts speaker-level inputs, which is what you'll be getting from that harness. To power the door and dash speakers only - like I did - you'd send the amp only the front-speaker signals like I did. Connect the four outputs each to one speaker. You can use the Alpine's 120hz high-pass filter on the dash speakers to protect them, I guess, but this isn't really a proper crossover. You'll effectively be running both pairs of speakers full-range, which may or may not sound good (I really don't know). The factory limits the dash speakers to about 600hz-and-up using that 68uF capacitor that I mentioned in my OP. I'd switch that out to a 200uF cap to get the 200hz high-pass filter as recommended by Audiofrog for the GS25s. Note that my Kicker actually actively crosses the door and dash speakers, so my setup is a little different than yours in that respect. But yours should work with the passive high-pass filter, which is after all what the factory used.