View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #16
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
Matt,
I'm looking to do only drop in speakers.
it looks like that was your first step of your overhaul, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you did to factory "crossover". My car audio knowledge is shallow.

Brandan
Okay, so the factory "crossover" is literally just a high-pass capacitor on the dash speakers. The door speakers get a full-range signal, and the dash speakers get everything above the high-pass frequency.
IIRC, the capacitor was 68uf. That would make it pass frequencies above 600-700hz, which is probably the lower limit of the stock 2.5" speakers. It is recommended that for any drop-in replacement, you keep some form of high-pass filter in the path to the dash speakers, because the high-energy in some low frequency music could damage them. I have seen people go without, and just send the full-range front signal to both the door and dash speakers, but you do so at your own risk.

When I did the drop-in speaker replacement (i.e. before I added the Kicker KEY amp with its built-in active crossovers), I cut the stock wire harness connectors off the stock dash speakers so I didn't have to cut the speaker wires (I knew I wasn't going to reuse the stock drivers). I also cut the high-pass capacitors off the stock speakers and added it to the factory connectors, and I connected all of that to the new Audiofrog GS25s. That I way, I could plug and play the GS25s into the factory location and harness. This is what I ended up with:

Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  151.8 KB

The female spades attach to the new speaker's terminals, and the factory connector block attaches to the factory speaker wires coming up through the dash.

However, if I were doing that again, I would use a bigger-capacity cap so I could lower the high-pass frequency to 200hz. The GS25s are good to that frequency and AF recommends that crossover frequency for them. I think I looked it up and figured that for a 4ohm speaker (which the GS25s are), a 200uF cap would get me where I wanted to be. That would have helped them integrate better with the door speakers. To so this properly, you need to find out the low-end frequency rating for the new speaker you're putting in and choose a capacitor accordingly.