View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Even for track manual doesn’t say to change trans. My autocross buddy who is a gm tech didn’t even say to do it. Just do oil and differential. But up to you.can’t hurt.
Wrong. The 2021 manual says to change the transmission fluid after every 15 hours of track time. It also has to be set to track level prior to track events.

Rear diff.: the car must have 1500 miles (break in), then change diff fluid before the first track event, then change diff fluid again after the first track event, and then after every 24 hours of track use. It also says any damage to the rear diff. during the first track event will not be covered under warranty, so don't push it too hard during the first event.

Brakes also have to be burnished before track use. The manual also recommends high temp. brake fluid.

There are other specifics as well for track use recommendations/requirements in the manual.

There is some misinformation in this thread. The break-in section says nothing about changing diff fluid or transmission fluid for regular day to day use after the break-in period. It lists the first diff. fluid change at 45k miles (for limited slip diff.). I can't even find anything in the break-in section about changing the oil after 500 or 1,500 miles (it does mention to check it during every fuel fill since the engines can use more oil during break-in). I'd be curious if the manual specifically mentions changing the oil after break-in, or if that is just something people do because they have always done it...I think most people do just to be safe and for piece of mind. Me included - I plan to change the engine oil after the break-in period, just because. I think it could be implied that if it's good to do before track use, then it couldn't hurt to do after break-in (i.e., the diff fluid).

Overall: Read the manual carefully and it will tell you what to do. They are available online if you want to read it before your car arrives. There is a chart with recommended service and fluid change schedules in the manual.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote