View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #26
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The glitter is caused by the oil filter running in bypass mode a lot. What weight oil are you using? What oil filter?

In my drag car with a old school BBC, I use to see tons of glitter in the oil. I was using a Moroso or K&N filter. Especially tons of gold glitter whenever putting in new rockers or PRs. Here was the main problem I finally figured out - too thick oil causing way too much filter bypass time. I was using 20w50 and a racing filter - but those filters have a bypass valve.

I went down a little in viscosity to a 10w40 racing oil, and switched to a WIX racing filter with no bypass. Glitter stopped instantly. Even with a brand new rocker or two there will be zero glitter. The non bypass filter is now catching it all.

Now, you can't use a WIX racing filter on the street. Especially on an OE engine with tight bearings. But you can use a WIX XP, the right oil weight for your application/use/ambient.... and don't romp WOT until the oil temp equals engine temp.

Visibly seeing anything in the oil means way too much filter bypass time. Filters filter in microns not visible to the eye. Even a racing filter with larger micron media gets out all the visible flecks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote