View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If you don't change it in the mileage interval, you should change it in a time interval. All major manufacturers Will tell you they want it out in a year, because condensation and particulates are held in the oil.

That being said , jugs of oil that are completely sealed and not opened, can sit on the shelf for years.
(not picking on Glen) So nobody makes any adjustment in change interval to account for storage?

Winter in New England is super dry, in terms of humidity in the air. The garage is heated with forced hot air, which also dries things out, so the oil isn't picking up lots of contaminants while sitting. Nor do I think that synth of this quality is eating the metal.

I drove it one time in 5 months, around the block, a couple of weeks ago. Not long enough to get rid of contaminants, but my drive today was about an hour and I am sure that everything got up to temp and any moisture, etc., was burned off. Likewise, this will happen on the way home. So, I am not one of those guys who (mistakenly) thinks it is a good idea to run a motor for 5 minutes periodically.

I will see what kind of miles it is at when the oil life indicator gets down to a very low %, but isn't good synthetic suppose to support extended oil change intervals?