Thread: Camaro swerving
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Have you ever hit anything? I hit a large rock and did a lot of damage to the vehicle. The power steering rack bolts had sheared. It took 3 tries and 6 weeks for the dealership to figure out the problem. I could feel the car "jumping" across the lane as I was on the freeway. It would dart suddenly without any steering input from me. I could also here a "clunk" when parked, and just turning the steering wheel a little bit. This was the sound of the steering rack hitting its mount because the bolts were sheared. The bolts are captured into the mount, so the steering rack will stay in place. However, if they are broken the ability of the rack to do its job will suffer drastically.

Secondly, I recall awhile back that there was a service bulletin for electric power steering assist software. There was a possibility that the EPSA would overreact to a steering input, or give steering input without the driver's input from the steering wheel. Check into this and see if your vehicle needs to have its EPSA software updated.

A quick search says the power steering had this TSB

Quote:
#17-NA-115 - Intermittent Vehicle Pulls While Driving - (May 2, 2017)