View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Arrow GM Closing Oshawa, Other Plants

Very sad news...

Quote:

General Motors are set to end their operations in Oshawa, affecting almost 3,000 union and salary positions.

According to General Motors, the plant has been in operation in Oshawa since 1953 and has built models for Pontiac, Chevrolet and Buick. Currently, the plant builds the Cadillac XTS, the Chevrolet Impala, the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra.

The company is scheduled to make the announcement Monday morning.

Oshawa NDP MPP Jennifer French spoke to the reports of the closure and says this is a heavy blow for the city and says the decision must be fought.

“I have seen the same reports as many in my riding, which claim GM may be closing their operations in Oshawa, and I find these reports gravely concerning,” said French. “If GM Canada is indeed turning its back on 100 years of industry and community — abandoning workers and families in Oshawa — then this is a callous decision that must be fought.”

“Words cannot fully describe the anxiety that my community is feeling at this moment.”

Bill Macklem has worked at the plant for 31 years and says he learned about the end of operations after his mother-in-law called him and told him to turn on the news.

“Its absolutely horrible, we’re all here to make a living and feed our families,” said Macklem. “Its bad news.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/4697468/g...wa-operations/