View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #396
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Corvette certainly offers levels of performance at a much lesser cost than some of the cars it competes with, but I struggle to agree the Corvette can be had by just any average Joe. Typical buyers are either young (no kids) making more money than is typical for their age, middle aged with kids but making lots of money (enough that a basically un-used car taking up space in a garage in the house is no big deal) or later in life, kids pretty much gone, and in a place in life where you can afford some of the "finer" things.

I don't understand why everyone thinks it HAS to cost lots more than the current Corvette. It doesn't.

Now I'm sure the top dog version may be the most expensive Corvette we've ever seen. But why does the base version with a standard naturally aspirated V8 have to cost significantly more than today's 55 - 60K Corvette?

Since it appears that the front engine Corvette might live on while the mid engine version comes online, perhaps the mid engine will be the premium, top end Corvette and expensive....only. But if GM plans to ever drop the front engine car, you can bet that cheaper, lower tier models will come, and they should fall right in line to about what you'd pay for a Corvette now days. (price inflation adjusted of course lol)
My feeling is that with going the supercar route they will be expecting supercar money. Plus these kind of cars are typically more costly to build. Who knows. For me, more than the cost, the American is lost no matter what. That fact that we kick your ass in our own way not doing what everyone else does. The Corvette has to be just about the most recognizable car ever produced. It will be ashame to see it blend in and get confused with all the other highend cars out there.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote