CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Infotainment 2.5 System Map Update - V.2019 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537488)

Tyl3r 08-29-2018 03:05 PM

Infotainment 2.5 System Map Update - V.2019

Hoping the forum can help, I have a 2017 vehicle. I was looking to update the map system, containing the newest roads and addresses. Based on principal, I find it ridiculous that the update costs the same price as a new Garmin GPS unit, especially after paying $500 for the bloated navigation system to begin with.

GM is running a 'Limited-Time Offer' for the update which is contained on a USB stick, $99.99 instead of $159.99. It also seems you must provide them with your vehicle's VIN in order to obtain the "customized USB product". There has to be a better option. Please advise. Thank you

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/prod...en_US/GMNA/USD

Get accurate directions to wherever you travel including new roads, new sub-divisions, and current addresses. New and expanded coverage in hundreds of cities, counties and metropolitan areas across the United States, Canada and Mexico. You can confidently drive through unfamiliar or recently changed areas. This latest edition provides updated Points of Interest to help you find the way to where you want to go quickly and efficiently.

YOUR VIN IS REQUIRED:
This map update USB will be created specifically for your vehicle and cannot be used for any other vehicle. In order to customize your USB product, you will be required to provide your vehicle's VIN. For instructions on where to locate your vehicle's VIN, please click here. Accuracy is very important when entering your VIN, the update will not work if an incorrect VIN is provided.

MarkC 08-30-2018 01:33 PM

From my experience the GM updates take about twice as long as Google Maps to get the updates pushed out. Sooo... if your road was changed in 2015 and it took Google until 2017 to update it, then GM might get it right in 2019.

Also, unless there were major changes or additions in your area, and you have a real need for the car GPS to be accurate, I wouldn't bother.

2K16SummitSS 08-30-2018 02:37 PM

This right here was the reason I was more than happy to ditch the navigation option, knowing I could just use Android Auto and Google Maps. My brother and a friend of mine both have optioned out Tahoes, and both have paid for 'updated' maps that were still behind current conditions. Google Maps is pretty quick with their updates, their traffic status is pretty good, and I can run Waze or just run it in the background behind Maps to get important updates like "Police reported ahead" :lol:

I've not seen any real way to skip paying the dealer for updates...

Emoto 08-30-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS (Post 10298156)
This right here was the reason I was more than happy to ditch the navigation option, knowing I could just use Android Auto and Google Maps. My brother and a friend of mine both have optioned out Tahoes, and both have paid for 'updated' maps that were still behind current conditions. Google Maps is pretty quick with their updates, their traffic status is pretty good, and I can run Waze or just run it in the background behind Maps to get important updates like "Police reported ahead" :lol:

I've not seen any real way to skip paying the dealer for updates...

There has to be a way to put an unlocked updated map in there.

Tyl3r 08-30-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 10298173)
There has to be a way to put an unlocked updated map in there.

Yes, :) Also, without voiding the warranty.

Emoto 08-30-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl3r (Post 10298178)
Yes, :) Also, without voiding the warranty.

I wonder what happens if one tries to hook up a laptop with a USB cord and browse the hard drive contents.

wjones14 08-31-2018 05:45 PM

FWIW, $100 is a relative bargain compared to some other brands. BMW wanted $500 to update the map in my M235i. Lexus map updates are $300 for my son-in-law's 2015 GS350.

That said, map updates should be free throughout the warranty period, IMO. :thumbdown:

Emoto 09-01-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjones14 (Post 10299253)
FWIW, $100 is a relative bargain compared to some other brands. BMW wanted $500 to update the map in my M235i. Lexus map updates are $300 for my son-in-law's 2015 GS350.

That said, map updates should be free throughout the warranty period, IMO. :thumbdown:

Many of the standalone GPS units that Garmin sells, ranging in price from $100 to $700 come with free lifetime maps. On others, you buy the North American map set (CNNA) once for $80 and then buy the lifetime update for $89, and you are set.

k818mn1 09-04-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl3r (Post 10297125)
GM is running a 'Limited-Time Offer' for the update which is contained on a USB stick, $99.99 instead of $159.99. It also seems you must provide them with your vehicle's VIN in order to obtain the "customized USB product". There has to be a better option. Please advise. Thank you

There is a better option. Use Google Maps via Android Auto. It's free and up to date.

benji276289 09-05-2018 03:46 AM

I have the Mylink navigation and despite the advantages of using a Garmin or other outside device, I personally prefer having the builtin system that interacts with the DIC and HUD. As far as having to pay $100+ to update the system every year, I would probably either wait it out until I trade in my car or at least wait 3 or 4 years to update. There are not enough changes every year to justify buying the update unless you are a professional who needs to drive to areas you know nothing about and need an up to date system. Then maybe Garmin, or whatever, is the answer for you.

Emoto 09-05-2018 06:45 AM

If anyone has ever bought an update, how does it come? Is it a memory chip or what? If I could get a look at the file structure, that would help me try to figure out how to update maps.

A screen shot of the folder structure and files in the folders would be extremely helpful. That way, I could duplicate the folder structure that the car expects, and drop my own map files in to see if it works.

Nitro66215 09-05-2018 12:55 PM

USB Thumb drive. I'll let you know when I receive it.

Tyl3r 09-05-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro66215 (Post 10302970)
USB Thumb drive. I'll let you know when I receive it.

Would be curious what happens if somebody else tries to use your drive after you.

Nitro66215 09-05-2018 01:03 PM

I have 2 2017 camaros. Both with Nav. I will update the first with the Correct VIN. Then try and play with the second.