Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1970 Monte Carlo barn find (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299125)

motley1987 06-01-2013 12:07 PM

1970 Monte Carlo barn find

So I came across a 70 monte carlo that a friend of mine's father had in a garage for years. Problem is, I'm guessing the windows were closed and the inside never had a chance to dry out while it was in storage. When I walked up to it I could smell the musty odor from 15 feet away. When I looked inside the smell was worse and the door panels had small white dots on them which I'm guessing is mold? The cloth bench seat also felt damp. I didn't feel the carpet but that probably was damp as well. My question is, what would be involved in getting the smell/mold out of the car? I would think a new carpet and upholstery would be a must. Would a strong cleaner take care of the door panels? Also, are there any other areas that would need addressing, like inside the door panels or the air vents? The car will be up for sale in the next few months so I wanted to know how bad of a situation this is if I wanted to try to buy it. The body looked good but the battery was out so I haven't heard it run yet. Thanks for any help or tips.

Ben

Overflow 06-01-2013 12:23 PM

Define "years". As in can you estimate a number?

DesertCamaro 06-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley1987 (Post 6615579)
So I came across a 70 monte carlo that a friend of mine's father had in a garage for years. Problem is, I'm guessing the windows were closed and the inside never had a chance to dry out while it was in storage. When I walked up to it I could smell the musty odor from 15 feet away. When I looked inside the smell was worse and the door panels had small white dots on them which I'm guessing is mold? The cloth bench seat also felt damp. I didn't feel the carpet but that probably was damp as well. My question is, what would be involved in getting the smell/mold out of the car? I would think a new carpet and upholstery would be a must. Would a strong cleaner take care of the door panels? Also, are there any other areas that would need addressing, like inside the door panels or the air vents? The car will be up for sale in the next few months so I wanted to know how bad of a situation this is if I wanted to try to buy it. The body looked good but the battery was out so I haven't heard it run yet. Thanks for any help or tips.

Ben

If it was ME, and the car was worth it, completely new upholstery would be in order. I imagine that you could find everything from carpet, seat covers, headliner and door cards. While everything's out scrub the entire interior with bleach. Complete HVAC disassembly as well. I don't f*ck around with mold that stuff can kill you.

FenwickHockey65 06-01-2013 12:30 PM

I'd pass. Unless it was a really good deal. In which case I'd be ripping the thing apart the minute it entered my garage and cleaning everything.

motley1987 06-01-2013 12:41 PM

I would say at least 10 years, maybe up to 15. The roof looked in good shape so even if the garage roofed leaked i cant figure out how it got so moldy inside. I was thinking the same thing about it being worth it if it was a good deal. I figured I'd be using bleach and ripping everything out as soon as I got it. Thanks for the info!

its a syn 06-01-2013 12:45 PM

Year One is drooling as we speak! lol!

motley1987 06-01-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its a syn (Post 6615675)
Year One is drooling as we speak! lol!

That's what I'm afraid of. Last time I restored a car I went crazy and ran up a hefty credit card balance. Now I'd try to be more patient and do as much as I can myself instead of just replacing everything.

upflying 06-01-2013 05:07 PM

If you have moisture, you have rust.
I would guess the floor pans are gone.
Poke around on the floor if you plan on buying it.

motley1987 06-01-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 6616522)

I never thought about the rust. They have a 69 corvair that might be in better condition with less issues than this one so maybe ill look at that one more closely.

ToolFan66 06-01-2013 07:26 PM

70 Monte is my Favorite Monte..

Angrybird 12 06-01-2013 07:42 PM

I have found out its a lot cheaper to buy one already restored. You will never get your money back out of it if you do a complete restoration unless you can do everything yourself and have plenty of time.
With the mold you mention and dampness of the seat I bet there is a lot of hidden damage.

ChrisBlair 06-01-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 6616522)

QFT

Buying a complete car- restored or not- that is sound is a much, much, much better than dealing with a swampy car

Sir Nuke 06-01-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCamaro (Post 6615629)
If it was ME, and the car was worth it, completely new upholstery would be in order. I imagine that you could find everything from carpet, seat covers, headliner and door cards. While everything's out scrub the entire interior with bleach. Complete HVAC disassembly as well. I don't f*ck around with mold that stuff can kill you.

:word: +100

King T 06-02-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley1987 (Post 6616564)
I never thought about the rust. They have a 69 corvair that might be in better condition with less issues than this one so maybe ill look at that one more closely.

I love Corvairs! 1969 was the rarest year with only 6,000 made.