CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Car was stuck and then POP! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529603)

Mcardenal 05-22-2018 05:34 PM

Car was stuck and then POP!

Hello Folks,
Relatively new A10 ZL1 owner here. Bought it with 710 miles and have 2500+ on it now.
I haven’t driven it for about 10-12 days due to non stop rain except for maybe pulling it out of the garage a few feet to wash it.
Today was the first day it didn’t rain and the roads were dry so I took it for a quick spin.
The weird part happened in the garage as I was trying to back it out. I turned it on put it in R and nothing (felt like the parking brake was engaged). I engaged and disingaged the parking brake and still nothing. I proceeded to put it in D, the neutral, still nothing. I finally put it back in D, made sure the PARKING brake was disingaged and then gently depressed the gas pedal. That’s when I hear a popping sound and a slight jerk before it finally engaged. After that everything seemed fine.

Anybody else had this experience

Can'tHave2MuchHP 05-22-2018 05:40 PM

Did you wash it before you put it away or were the brakes wet from rain? Sounds like the brakes seized to the pads, nothing abnormal, my cars do it all the time.

laynlo15 05-22-2018 07:04 PM

Caliper may be stuck.

Timbo-1LE 05-22-2018 07:13 PM

Simply the pads locked on the rotors. Pads in the six piston caliper cars do that after washing. Drive it around the block and drag the brake a few times...before you put her to bed

chicagosam 05-22-2018 07:14 PM

Just had this happen to me today. Car was parked outside in the rain for 5 days and had some rusty rotors. Car didn't move in reverse and I gave it some gas and heard a large clunk. Had to have been the pads stuck to the rotors.

I wouldn't worry about it.

DangerZL1 05-22-2018 07:15 PM

As mentioned a stuck caliper would be the best bet especially since you’ve washed and not driven it. I’d use a blower on the wheels after washing if you can’t drive it afterwards.

chicagosam 05-22-2018 07:15 PM

Anyone else notice how easily our rotors develop surface rust?

Mcardenal 05-22-2018 08:38 PM

I absolutely did wash it just before I put it away.
Thanks for the feedback.
I am a little wiser now.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 05-22-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagosam (Post 10194319)
Anyone else notice how easily our rotors develop surface rust?

This is true for all high performance steel brakes. They'll develop surface oranging almost immediately, within minutes of rinsing. It's not really "rust" though in the sense that there's structural damage happening. It comes completely off at the first brushing of the brake pads when driving/moving the car. It's just EXTREMELY raw metal, and extremely raw metal reacts very quickly to environmental changes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcardenal (Post 10194394)
I absolutely did wash it just before I put it away.
Thanks for the feedback.
I am a little wiser now.

:headbang:

BurningMan 05-22-2018 10:02 PM

This is why I belong to this site. So much info and experience shared freely.

R3ctivision 05-23-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10194478)
This is true for all high performance steel brakes. They'll develop surface oranging almost immediately, within minutes of rinsing. It's not really "rust" though in the sense that there's structural damage happening. It comes completely off at the first brushing of the brake pads when driving/moving the car. It's just EXTREMELY raw metal, and extremely raw metal reacts very quickly to environmental changes.

:headbang:

+1, although I have found it may actually be the pad deposit layer on the rotors that causes the rust color, not the rotor steel itself. I had switched to ceramic Z26 street brake pads for a month, and after washing, I distinctly noticed they did NOT have the orange rusty finish! The "rustiness" returned after I went back to OEM pads.

Anyway, OP, +1 to the others' suggestion, definitely drive the car after washing and get a couple 30-0mph braking points in (stop signs, etc) before parking to avoid the stuck pads.

ZED SLED 05-23-2018 06:22 AM

I always drive mine back back and forth down the driveway on the brakes a few times because of this. As mentioned above, all my performance cars have done this.

wlsmoku 05-23-2018 07:39 AM

good info - did not know this!

MoreSpeed 05-23-2018 10:41 AM

This is not unique to our cars. This sometimes happened with my GT3 as well, and has happened quite a few times with the ZL1. It is pretty easy to avoid. When I wash my ZL1 or come in from the rain, I brake while I slowly drive after to get rid of the moisture on the brakes. Then park. Then no freeze up. If you can't do this, you can move the car. a while after parked This only seems to happen when put away wet, and then not moved for a day plus.