Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need recommendation for a good wireless router (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601142)

nighttowl 01-07-2022 10:08 PM

Need recommendation for a good wireless router

Netgear sucks. I bought an expensive router and its a POS.
I cant stand it any more, I need something else.

I need something that can run a wireless schedule on it because if its not shut off at night my kids wont get up in the morning.

hrpiii 01-08-2022 07:28 AM

Asus RT-AX86U AX-5700 (not the AX-86S, lower model). I just upgraded last month from a Netgear R7000. Asus easy setup, fast and a lot more reliable. I had a slight upswing in speed, just minor. But my phone speed with the wifi-6 greatly increased. I also had a wireless network card at 160hz that is smoking fast now (netgear couldn't do anything in the 160 range).

I got mine at B&H Photo, use the "Notify when in stock" and jumped on it. It's pretty popular router and hard to find.

FarmerFran 01-10-2022 11:48 AM

What router you have that sucks

hrpiii 01-10-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttowl (Post 11117752)
Netgear sucks. I bought an expensive router and its a POS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerFran (Post 11118573)
What router you have that sucks

I made the assumption it was Netgear....and they do suck

FarmerFran 01-10-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 11118628)
I made the assumption it was Netgear....and they do suck

I saw that, they make a lot of different models.

I have been running a Nighthawk AC5300 since 2016 - zero issues.

nighttowl 01-10-2022 05:17 PM

It is a netgear nighthawk R7000.

MightyBobo 01-11-2022 01:58 AM

What sucks about it? Does it not have the WiFi scheduling like you're looking for?

hrpiii 01-11-2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttowl (Post 11118720)
It is a netgear nighthawk R7000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyBobo (Post 11118872)
What sucks about it? Does it not have the WiFi scheduling like you're looking for?

from my own experience with the R7000 (which I ran for 3 years), a few of the software upgrades over the past year made the 5Ghz range unstable. It would all of a sudden stop, and the only way to get the 5Ghz back was to reboot the router. Both me and the wife work from home and was getting very frustrated as I was having to reboot 3-4 times a week. That doesn't go over well when you can't get onto meetings, or dropped from meetings.

I finally went back to several older versions to make it stable, but it left it open for several current/potential hacks.

That was the issue I was having. Support is pretty useless also.

Lou gill 01-11-2022 06:57 AM

Google home I bought 2 one as a router and one to create a web net in my house it is amazing

nighttowl 01-11-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 11118903)
from my own experience with the R7000 (which I ran for 3 years), a few of the software upgrades over the past year made the 5Ghz range unstable. It would all of a sudden stop, and the only way to get the 5Ghz back was to reboot the router. Both me and the wife work from home and was getting very frustrated as I was having to reboot 3-4 times a week. That doesn't go over well when you can't get onto meetings, or dropped from meetings.

I finally went back to several older versions to make it stable, but it left it open for several current/potential hacks.

That was the issue I was having. Support is pretty useless also.

this is generally the issue i am having, but its with both wifi ranges. it completely disconnects from my modem several times a day. I had it shut off at 9pm every day but adjusted the schedule - it still shuts off at 9pm, then reconnects 5-10 minutes later. its not my first netgear router that has had issues, but it is the worst and also the most expensive. I paid 180 for it a couple years ago.

FarmerFran 01-11-2022 09:27 AM

Have you done the firmware updates?

Aragorn 01-11-2022 12:56 PM

Hopefully not off-topic. I have an average router with below average speed, and work a lot from home. Additionally I have several teams meetings per week where I have to share video. After getting tired of losing Internet or slow Internet, I finally ran a 50 foot ethernet cable to connect directly to the laptop dock . The difference is incredible. I had been pondering on increasing speed, and new router but I don’t think it will be necessary. Wi-Fi is incredible for many situations but maybe not for working from home. Lastly at night we just unplug the router.

MightyBobo 01-11-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aragorn (Post 11119119)
Hopefully not off-topic. I have an average router with below average speed, and work a lot from home. Additionally I have several teams meetings per week where I have to share video. After getting tired of losing Internet or slow Internet, I finally ran a 50 foot ethernet cable to connect directly to the laptop dock . The difference is incredible. I had been pondering on increasing speed, and new router but I don’t think it will be necessary. Wi-Fi is incredible for many situations but maybe not for working from home.

There are....many reasons why wifi connection can suck. Distance, objects in the way, interference from other devices, etc.

Ethernet will always be a superior option if you can choose it.

hrpiii 01-11-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttowl (Post 11118911)
this is generally the issue i am having, but its with both wifi ranges. it completely disconnects from my modem several times a day. I had it shut off at 9pm every day but adjusted the schedule - it still shuts off at 9pm, then reconnects 5-10 minutes later. its not my first netgear router that has had issues, but it is the worst and also the most expensive. I paid 180 for it a couple years ago.

You probably don't need as much as I did for a $300 router, but Asus makes some much better stuff than Netgear at this point in the game.

Since going to Asus back in Dec. I have NOT rebooted my router or cable modem once. No issues with connectivity, stability or speed. I am a happy camper. With computers, TV's, cellphones, NAS, laptops, game stations, A/V equipment, wifi cameras, etc, I have about 30 devices connected via Wifi, none have had an issue.

Both me an the wife do IT work for a very large hospital organization, working from home and needing that reliability and speed is critical for our work. Asus was the answer for me, after lots of research.