CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Pray Performance ported intake manifold. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562736)

NA18CamaroSS 09-27-2019 12:39 PM

Pray Performance ported intake manifold.

18 Attachment(s)
I purchased a stock intake manifold and sent it to Brett at Pray Performance for porting. Brett was pretty quick about porting the intake manifold and getting it back to me. With both manifolds on the bench I took photos for comparisons sake. Bolted the ported IM on the car and drove it home. Throttle transition seems to be a little smoother, but that is completely subjective. Honestly can't tell if the car is faster, but will hit the dyno at Superior to compare-sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Before and after:

KILLA BEE 09-27-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B19 Coupe (Post 10628679)
I purchased a stock intake manifold and sent it to Brett at Pray Performance for porting. Brett was pretty quick about porting the intake manifold and getting it back to me. With both manifolds on the bench I took photos for comparisons sake. Bolted the ported IM on the car and drove it home. Throttle transition seems to be a little smoother, but that is completely subjective. Honestly can't tell if the car is faster, but will hit the dyno at Superior to compare-sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Before and after:

Ported IM are mainly for Top End power. IMO

PTB you will the throttle response more pretty sure

asrautox 09-27-2019 02:46 PM

Mine made 18whp with PTB and 2nd cat delete. Definitely a bit faster, but not an earth-shattering difference..

Mighty Mouce 09-27-2019 02:59 PM

If you can't just feel the additional power it probably wasn't worth it.

Vrodviddy 09-28-2019 11:05 AM

wondering how that compares to the the msd manifold. 1200 and gets you 20ish hp gain. How much was the porting service?

Trochoidal 09-28-2019 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrodviddy (Post 10629184)
wondering how that compares to the the msd manifold. 1200 and gets you 20ish hp gain. How much was the porting service?

Whether you use FB or not, Google Pray’s page and see what he’s building. This post does list his fees. It might have been updated but it gives you an idea of what it will cost.

NA18CamaroSS 09-28-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLA BEE (Post 10628773)

I disagree. I think that porting the stock IM, done properly should show gains throughout the power band. After studying various dyno graphs, it appears to me that the MSD Atomic intake manifold improves top end power at the expense of bottom end torque. Since I am not looking for a huge peak horsepower number, but rather gains throughout the power band, I opted to go with the Pray Performance ported IM. Although the car "feels" faster with the PP ported IM, I can't claim to be able to feel 10 RWHP on a car making 435 RWHP. I prefer the objective to the subjective when it comes to the benefits of different engine modifications.
From a purely subjective perspective, the car does feel faster. Throttle response appears to have improved. The car feels like the ported intake manifold woke up the engine; I can't define my impressions any better than that. The proof is in the pudding as they say, so the dyno will be the ultimate arbiter of this debate.
Once I have the data that proves/disproves the gains the Pray Ported intake manifold provided, I am going to add a Soler Performance 95 mm throttle body and have the car completely retuned.

6spdhyperblue 09-28-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrodviddy (Post 10629184)

Msd will give you a tenth and 2mph over a ported stock intake. If you have a auto and/or roll race it’s a no brainer, it rips from a roll. Also it is a MUST have if you’re gonna cam it, something like 30-40hp there. If a cam is a possibility might as well get one from the start

NA18CamaroSS 10-03-2019 03:35 PM

Pray Performance

2 Attachment(s)
So the car went back to the dyno to assess any gains/losses. Peaks HP/TQ picked up 4 HP/2 WTQ. Gains everywhere, but not large gains. As I stated previously, throttle response and throttle transitions are smoother. The car 'feels' better, but honestly, the dyno does not reflect that. Interpret the data how you will.

KingLT1 10-03-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLA BEE (Post 10628773)

ported stock IM makes more power across the entire curve.

6spdhyperblue 10-03-2019 04:38 PM

After looking on a computer, the fuel looks like it moved. Wonder when you lean it back out to where the blue line is, if it would gain another 5hp and get you the 10hp

s346k 10-04-2019 12:57 AM

op: what else is done to the car?

NA18CamaroSS 10-04-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s346k (Post 10633276)
op: what else is done to the car?

Drop in Green Filter. Soler Performance throttle body. Flex fuel kit. Tune. Finally Pray Ported IM.

s346k 10-04-2019 12:03 PM

sweet. pretty much exactly what i have planned for mine. although the ported stuff doesn’t appear to be worth much. about $100/hp + parts.