Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Audio upgrade (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582085)

suzbndt 09-22-2020 08:40 AM

Audio upgrade

After 10 years of ownership I'm finally getting around to installing some audio products. Looking for suggestions on a head unit and install Kit I've looked at a couple but none really caught my eye. What are you guys running currently installed a digital antenna sub to go with my factory stereo that he did his less-than-stellar to say the least. Scosche or the new kit that crutchfield.com has? Anybody have experience with both.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DMan918 09-22-2020 09:21 AM

Take a look at my thread in audio.

Basically, the two big ones are PAC and iDatalink Maestro. If you want to keep a factory look, go PAC. If you don't mind losing them and going to buttons/on screen air and heat controls, the iDatalink has more features and is arguably better.

I went PAC for the stock look, but I've gone back and forth about it quite a bit.

ragtop1 09-22-2020 09:47 AM

If you have a HUD and go PAC, I believe you retain the HUD but, loose the ability to see audio information on the HUD.

suzbndt 09-22-2020 09:52 AM

I don't like the sunken in look of the pac. The data link isn't too bad. I really like the look of the scosche with the single screen but the reviews seem hit or miss with the first gen of those. And I have been looking at headunits.

suzbndt 09-22-2020 10:00 AM

Mine is 2010 ss no hud. Datalink unit seems ok too

the85darkknight 09-22-2020 10:59 AM

I just upgraded my head unit to a Kenwood DDX9906XR with the iDatalink Maestro interface and the PAC dash kit. You retain your factory look, and all of your HUD information is retained with this setup. The only "issue" I have is that the climate controls on the touch screen are not working, but I don't care because I still have the PAC physical controls. I love my set up!

InFiD3ViL 09-22-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzbndt (Post 10872220)
I don't like the sunken in look of the pac. The data link isn't too bad. I really like the look of the scosche with the single screen but the reviews seem hit or miss with the first gen of those. And I have been looking at headunits.

I have the single screen Scosche. They don't make it anymore and it's now a dual screen for climate controls and system settings. It's ok at best. I mean it works and does what it's supposed to do, but the touch screen is of subpar quality and sensitivity, imo. It's also so bulky that it blocks a good portion of my 4 pack gauges.

When I upgrade I am definitely going with the iDatalink Maestro CAM1 kit. The functionality and features are vastly superior when paired with a good head unit. I am tired of the sluggishness of my Chinese Android head unit (8 core, 2GB Ram, 32GB). Yes, I can load and use nearly any app I want on it and customize the daylights out of it. But what's the point if the hardware is so out of date and slow that it is nearly useless? I had to load a custom ROM on it just to make it somewhat tolerable.

suzbndt 09-22-2020 01:10 PM

I think the best solution out right now is the datalink setup

Cheap Guy 09-22-2020 03:36 PM

The audio section is still relatively active compared to other areas of this forum. Lots of good info there. As far as the dash kit, I think the PAC is the best looking. No, you don’t have the maestro stuff but I have it on my other car and I rarely use it and the other kit looks pretty ugly. As far as head unit, my suggestion is to really go with a short chsssis radio no matter what brand you go with.

TommyTheCat 09-22-2020 05:11 PM

I went with the PAC unit, which has been updated to come with the A/C knobs so you don't have to take apart the old ones. Looked the best imo

suzbndt 09-22-2020 06:38 PM

Finished installing this now to find a grill that fits over it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...93beaa1643.jpg

kcox2010 09-23-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheCat (Post 10872472)
I went with the PAC unit, which has been updated to come with the A/C knobs so you don't have to take apart the old ones. Looked the best imo

Where did u buy it pac kit that has knobs already install so u don’t have to remove the original thanks

Vicster 09-24-2020 06:27 AM

My stereo upgrades

These are my upgrades, the stereo stuff is in the middle of the post.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=571243&page=2

DMan918 09-24-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcox2010 (Post 10873056)
Where did u buy it pac kit that has knobs already install so u don’t have to remove the original thanks

Abt has it. Model number is RPK5-GM4102.