Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Causes for choppy WOT (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589072)

RupertPupkin 03-05-2021 07:48 AM

Causes for choppy WOT

So I’ve had my boosted setup for a year. Only put on maybe 1000 miles. I’ve only been able to do WOT pull once in awhile. Took the car out last week, and of course I went balls out and ramped it out to 7k rpms. When I hit 5500-7000rpms, the car was kind of breaking up/puttering.

Just curious to see what could be the cause of that. AFR/ fuel pressure looked good based on a quick 1 second look.

sixty9fordkiller 03-05-2021 09:26 AM

without knowing the setup, running out of gas or weak valve springs would be my guess

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Risingson05 03-05-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 10966700)
So I’ve had my boosted setup for a year. Only put on maybe 1000 miles. I’ve only been able to do WOT pull once in awhile. Took the car out last week, and of course I went balls out and ramped it out to 7k rpms. When I hit 5500-7000rpms, the car was kind of breaking up/puttering.

Just curious to see what could be the cause of that. AFR/ fuel pressure looked good based on a quick 1 second look.

If you have a scanner , you can run a data log and see what cylinder is. Miss firing up there . I ran into this on my truck after installing my ported heads .
Ended up being a coil pack . Easy test for the coil pack is move it from one cylinder to the other and see if that cylinder misfires if so there’s your answer..

It didn’t end there tho , I have hpt so my scanner showed me what cylinder but my injector duty cycle was at 114% at wot fuel pump was also on its way out . I was running meth at the time and so the afr wasn’t showing I was leaning out too much .. had to disconnect the meth so I could see what was really going on ..

Had to upgrade my injectors and replace my fuel pump . Retune and everything is running fine now ..

Also it could be a ground but that would show up in the scanner , like you Tb closing early at wot

Ground , spark , or fuel .. cane be tune cause you stated your car was running fine ..
could be easy as cloggged injector or bad coil pack .

Silver14 03-05-2021 10:28 AM

Logs would be great to see.

How old is the fuel? Bad coil/plug/wire?

RupertPupkin 03-05-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller (Post 10966794)
without knowing the setup, running out of gas or weak valve springs would be my guess

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14SS 1LE 2SS/RS/Recaros|Tick Polluter Stg-3|E85
LS7 Lifters|BTR Springs|Speed Engineering LTs|Muffler Mod|ECS 1500|DSX Aux Pump|DSX Flex Fuel Sensor|FIC 127#|ATI Balancer|DashLogic| McLeod RXT|BMR 1.4 Springs|MightyMouse Wild|AEM WideBand|AEM BoostGauge|ZL1Addons Splitter|VA Sideskirts|POWER : 737whp/635trq

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risingson05 (Post 10966801)
If you have a scanner , you can run a data log and see what cylinder is. Miss firing up there . I ran into this on my truck after installing my ported heads .
Ended up being a coil pack . Easy test for the coil pack is move it from one cylinder to the other and see if that cylinder misfires if so there’s your answer..

It didn’t end there tho , I have hpt so my scanner showed me what cylinder but my injector duty cycle was at 114% at wot fuel pump was also on its way out . I was running meth at the time and so the afr wasn’t showing I was leaning out too much .. had to disconnect the meth so I could see what was really going on ..

Had to upgrade my injectors and replace my fuel pump . Retune and everything is running fine now ..

Also it could be a ground but that would show up in the scanner , like you Tb closing early at wot

Ground , spark , or fuel .. cane be tune cause you stated your car was running fine ..
could be easy as cloggged injector or bad coil pack .

Everything on my setup was brand new. Unfortunately I have no way of logging. I am bringing it to a new tuner this Monday, so hopefully he can figure out what’s up with all my issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver14 (Post 10966847)
Logs would be great to see.

How old is the fuel? Bad coil/plug/wire?

Plugs are new. Coils are stock, and wires are new.

Tarendor 03-05-2021 12:46 PM

Did the check engine light flash during the event?

RupertPupkin 03-05-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarendor (Post 10966911)
Did the check engine light flash during the event?

Nope

Warship2k15 03-05-2021 02:29 PM

Ok what are your plugs gapped to?
If it’s set to the stock gap it will do that at wot.
Most people set the gap to .028-.030 on the plugs with a combo like yours.
I would set it to .028 for troubleshooting.

RupertPupkin 03-05-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warship2k15 (Post 10966978)
Ok what are your plugs gapped to?
If it’s set to the stock gap it will do that at wot.
Most people set the gap to .028-.030 on the plugs with a combo like yours.
I would set it to .028 for troubleshooting.

I have no ideaz. Shop built it, so I would assume they gapped it correctly. They were new NGK TR7

RupertPupkin 03-09-2021 09:27 AM

Shop called and plugs weren’t gapped incorrectly.

Risingson05 03-09-2021 09:32 AM

Interesting . So how’d that end up happening ?

RupertPupkin 03-09-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risingson05 (Post 10969092)
Interesting . So how’d that end up happening ?

Gapped incorrectly...*** and 1 of the wires was also cracked/damaged.

joshnmn 03-09-2021 02:34 PM

Wires was my input. A day late though...

Same thing happened to me. I’m relocating the coils to the frame rails to help keep the wires down away from the manifolds. (Also looks cleaner)