Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Full Mild Exhaust set-up with minimal drone? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624285)

MakeShift1LE 03-18-2024 08:33 PM

Full Mild Exhaust set-up with minimal drone?

Pretty much what the title says.

I'm planning on buying LTH for my daily and wanted to know what headers/axle back system sounds good, and has minimal drone. At the moment I'm on a super mild setup and wanted something a bit more aggressive but not a full straight pipe; currently catted, x-pipe, and flowmaster mufflers.

I was looking at Speed Engineering 1-7/8th or some used ARH.

Fun note: I live in California :))))))
I need thoughts on tuning or hot smogs

RupertPupkin 03-18-2024 08:55 PM

Get out of the west coast armpit.

MSgt O 03-19-2024 09:46 AM

I have Kooks LT headers and green cats and GMPP mufflers, loud but not over the top and no drone. I also have a convertible and its a great set up for a daily. Definitely gets louder the more you get on it.

2010sgm 03-19-2024 11:29 AM

i have a smog connect in fontana ca
dm me...

Arogg 03-19-2024 12:36 PM

I would just add the headers to your current setup and go from there. Maybe you wont want to change it.. Headers just make whatever current exhaust you have..a little more spicy

1JEWLDSSRS 03-19-2024 12:41 PM

^^^ agreed with this. Plus the biggest thing will be get rid of the "dronemaster" mufflers you currently have, they are the worst. I did have them at one time. Went with the Corsa 3 inch ZL1 Sport catback. Very nice sounding, loud at WOT and absolutely zero drone!! Pricey, but worth every penny!!

ADVMax 03-22-2024 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Borla ATAK cat back.

d2cheer 03-22-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSgt O (Post 11412577)
I have Kooks LT headers and green cats and GMPP mufflers, loud but not over the top and no drone. I also have a convertible and its a great set up for a daily. Definitely gets louder the more you get on it.

My 2013 2SS has a Kooks setup when I bought it (lots of drone) not sure of the exactly what on it but the wife hates how it sounds so we will be looking to change it.

Leadsled 03-22-2024 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 11413389)
My 2013 2SS has a Kooks setup when I bought it (lots of drone) not sure of the exactly what on it but the wife hates how it sounds so we will be looking to change it.

I love my SOLO Performance axle back. Im running Kooks headers, Gutted Cats, Magnaflow 2.5 in/out center muffler. Sounds awesome and ZERO drone

its all about the SOLO Performance.. Ill swear buy it

pyroguy 03-22-2024 12:08 PM

+1 for Solo Performance!!! I have been running their Mach XL catback for almost 9 years now and I LOVE it!! With or without long tube headers and cammed it has all sounded great and it doesn't drone.

0stones0 03-22-2024 01:21 PM

Another vote for the droneless catback Corsa Sport. This is the 2.5 inch.

Here’s with headers…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuc5YsldlM

myold88 03-24-2024 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadsled (Post 11413406)
I love my SOLO Performance axle back. Im running Kooks headers, Gutted Cats, Magnaflow 2.5 in/out center muffler. Sounds awesome and ZERO drone

its all about the SOLO Performance.. Ill swear buy it

The only way to go. My Solo axle back exhaust on my stock '10SS L99 is
drone free at any RPM. That's the the first mod I did to my new Camaro
14 years ago. Plus there muffler delete so I have a great sound
without being excessive.

CamaroDreams76 03-24-2024 03:13 PM

Longtubes with factory NPP

TheBrightSide 03-25-2024 07:38 AM

As someone mentioned, you can probably get rid of the Flowmaster mufflers. Those are metal chambered, with no fiberglass; and in my experience, straight-through mufflers that are quality fiberglass packed, sound a bit quieter and more refined, and will kill rasp and drone much more effectively.

As far as your setup, I think I find my setup loud, but only if the offroad connection pipes are installed. I've ran my fair share of 400 cell high flow cats (ceramic), which are the quietest and eliminate pretty much over 3/4 of the nasty fumes. You can go mid 300 cell HFC's, which are usually metallic, just like the more common 200 cell HFC's. However, those are the ones that will sound louder and definitely much closer to being catless. Mind your exhaust flow and decide what kind of volume and power/torque you might kill off (may be negligible).

The only thing I would personally add, if I kept my offroad pipes on, would be to probably at least get at least 14-16" (overall length) resonators/glasspacks welded into the mid pipes, basically like the ones that come on the factory LS3 mid pipes. A really great alternative (and popular one), would be the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler (I forget the part number), which has been a really popular V8 muscle car exhaust mod for ages. You ideally would go with any dual inlet/outlet muffler (that matches your exhaust piping diameter), but ofc as mentioned, the straight-through, fiberglass-packed mufflers are always going to be the best flowing; this would probably be the best if you end up compromising for a quiet(er) car and still want to keep all the flow/power.