Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the Camaro Team (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Is Stealth exhaust mode damaging at the track? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532347)

Riker 06-25-2018 12:51 PM

Is Stealth exhaust mode damaging at the track?

In the owner's manual, there is a single reference to using the Stealth option on our Engine Sound Management setting.

"The Engine Sound Management setting (if equipped) should not be set to Stealth Mode during track events and competitive driving."

My question is if this is mentioned because it is damaging to the dual mode exhaust valve or simply letting you know to keep it off for performance/lower restriction reasons?

This is pretty important for tracks with decibel limits, particularly Laguna Seca's 92dB limit. It would be great to know we can leave it on Stealth safely so that we can focus on driving rather than staying under sound check station limits.

kropscamaro16 06-25-2018 01:13 PM

long tubes and exhaust with npp on the track is awesome lol let those bald eagles fly

Norm Peterson 06-25-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 10229830)
long tubes and exhaust with npp on the track is awesome lol let those bald eagles fly

Awesome? Not when you get booted off the track for noise violation. Don't count on getting a refund.

Norm

h422694 06-25-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riker (Post 10229793)
In the owner's manual, there is a single reference to using the Stealth option on our Engine Sound Management setting.

This is pretty important for tracks with decibel limits, particularly Laguna Seca's 92dB limit.

Try setting it in "Tour". Should be much less restrictive and louder than Stealth but not nearly as loud as Track or Sport and should also pass the 92dB limit

Riker 06-26-2018 11:21 AM

All the modes simply alter when the valve is open or closed.

Tour leaves the valve closed at all time outside of start-up, high RPM and high throttle input. Which means it will be open just as much as Sport/Track mode on the track. If you go WOT, Tour/Sport/Track are all the same loudness. The valve simply opens to the "loud/less restrictive" exhaust path. Closed makes the exhaust go the "quiet/more restrictive" path.

Sport/Track modes leaves the valve open in almost all circumstances outside of steady state speed above 10-15 mph with low rpm/throttle (avoids drone). Track opens up with even less RPM and throttle than Sport. But as I mentioned, when you are going WOT at the track, Tour will not make a difference outside of some braking zones where you are off throttle. But that doesn't matter at all since it is about peak loudness which is when you are WOT.

Stealth keeps them closed no matter what. The question is if it is damaging, not just lower performance.

kropscamaro16 07-02-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 10230356)
Awesome? Not when you get booted off the track for noise violation. Don't count on getting a refund.

Norm

lol only track around here that does that is laguna seca and im nowhere close to it

Norm Peterson 07-03-2018 08:27 AM

I guess you're fortunate for the most part. For now, anyway.

It would be good to get this question answered for those who face noise limits now. Lime Rock in CT is another track with unusually restrictive sound limits (on most days).

Norm

HartfordRacingCaptain 07-03-2018 09:59 AM

No issues with stock SS's (including 1LE's) w/ NPP in track mode at Lime Rock

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525538

See page 2 of link for confirmation.

royriccomini 12-24-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 10230356)

Norm

I have the same question...did you find the answer anywhere else?

Heartbreaker 05-25-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royriccomini (Post 10392445)
I have the same question...did you find the answer anywhere else?

At NCM today and got a black flag in the first session for exceeding the sound limit. Can we use stealth mode? I’m running long tubes,cats and the stock muffler.

rontammy0 05-28-2019 11:01 AM

Is there a team Camaro rep anywhere on this thread. The members now know more about the 5th gen then anybody.

FollowMyLine 06-29-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartbreaker (Post 10527499)
At NCM today and got a black flag in the first session for exceeding the sound limit. Can we use stealth mode? I’m running long tubes,cats and the stock muffler.

I’m curious what NCM did to help you pass and keep running. I know when I was there, they said “if you blow sound, we will help get you down to the 103dB limit, we want you out on the track.” Also, what did you end up running there?

vtirocz 07-03-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riker (Post 10229793)

"The Engine Sound Management setting (if equipped) should not be set to Stealth Mode during track events and competitive driving."

My question is if this is mentioned because it is damaging to the dual mode exhaust valve or simply letting you know to keep it off for performance/lower restriction reasons?

This is pretty important for tracks with decibel limits, particularly Laguna Seca's 92dB limit. It would be great to know we can leave it on Stealth safely so that we can focus on driving rather than staying under sound check station limits.

The 2019 Corvette owner's manual provides a little more information (p. 162):

"Do not place the vehicle in
Engine Sound Management –
Stealth mode. Damage could
result to exhaust valve actuators
."

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf

I'd say the systems and actuators are similar enough that this probably applies to the Camaro as well and answers your question.

DenverTaco07 07-03-2019 11:30 PM

if warning is for damage to actuators, leave it in track and block the outer pipes...bananas or something?