CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Removal of Factory BANG BANG Tune? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604823)

Fast Ken 04-27-2022 01:03 PM

Removal of Factory BANG BANG Tune?

Is it possible to get rid of the Crackling Firecrackers on deceleration without voiding the warranty and/or causing a smog test failure?

I talked to a local, experienced and knowledgeable independent GM tuner for advise. His recommendation was either leave it alone or buy another computer to program.

Any other ideas?

arpad_m 04-27-2022 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a tune change gm made back in 2019, I don't think there is a way to retain the warranty if you want to revert to the "old" (2016-2018) minimum spark and DFCO settings.

If you're interested nevertheless, below is a list of threads where this was discussed in detail, although usually by people with pre-refresh cars who do actually want those pops and crackles. The first (highlighted) thread shows what needs to be changed in the tune: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563618

Chrome383Z 04-27-2022 08:28 PM

I don’t like them either. When I had the car tuned for FBO it actually reduced then quite a bit even though I didn’t think to ask for that. Still there but not as bad. I think it’s sounds stupid.

ZPirate 04-28-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z (Post 11166823)
I don’t like them either. When I had the car tuned for FBO it actually reduced then quite a bit even though I didn’t think to ask for that. Still there but not as bad. I think it’s sounds stupid.

Personally, I like the BANG BANG! LOL!

pzoom 04-28-2022 10:53 AM

Coming from a BMW, i welcome the pops and bangs. Beats having fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers.

Have you tried changing your exhaust mode? Seems like the pops are barely audible with the valves closed.

Crushin_LT1 04-28-2022 12:16 PM

In touring mode the crackling exhaust seems almost gone.

Geese1 04-28-2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZPirate (Post 11167054)
Personally, I like the BANG BANG! LOL!

One of the things I'm looking forward to most. I guess it could get tiring if you're constantly daily driving the car, but this is going to be a weekend, fun toy for me, so the crackles and pops will just add to the experience!

ZPirate 04-28-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 (Post 11167094)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geese1 (Post 11167167)
One of the things I'm looking forward to most. I guess it could get tiring if you're constantly daily driving the car, but this is going to be a weekend, fun toy for me, so the crackles and pops will just add to the experience!

I agree. If you don't want the cracks and pops switch to touring mode. Another way to avoid them is to stay on the throttle. :thumbup:

2SS Capt 04-28-2022 04:27 PM

It really depends on how you drive the car, if you do high RPM decels you're gonna get a lot more crackling, if you get the RPMs down (shift into a higher gear) it pretty much won't do it...

Fast Ken 04-28-2022 11:22 PM

So it's down to "how to minimize" the BANG BANG/Crackling Firecrackers sounds. The best thing that I am hearing (no pun intended) is to keep it in Tour mode and don't let off on the gas. That's good for the Bonneville Salt Flats or the Texas Mile. I think shifting into 6 gear at about 175 MPH would be a great adrenalin and testosterone rush.

Also for me the Rev Match does play an important role in my driving style. It was developed for the Track. Once I started using it there then I quickly got over the feeling like it was cheating. It minimizes the time changing gears and improves the driving experience.

Thanks for all of your comments and references. It's a shame there is no easy fix. )-: So change my driving style on the street or live with the BANG BANG.

SATINSTEEL1LE 04-28-2022 11:27 PM

Man I had an 18 ZL1 and now a 21 ZL1 and I LOVE the bang bang tune that the new ones have. It sounds sick honestly in my opinion. I wanted it so bad on the 18 but there was no way aside from a tune, to get it.

For you, you will need an aftermarket tune in order to turn all that off. And it can be done. Burble tunes as they are called, are all the rage now. And tuners can add that to your power tune or not if you want.

ALMN 04-30-2022 06:17 PM

My wife hates the pops and crackles but i love it. It sounds amazing especially with a manual transmission. My daughter thinks its funny and we call it “pop corn ready” every time the exhaust starts making the noise. Overall the NPP exhaust sounds amazing. I m done with the aftermarket exhausts for a while!

arpad_m 04-30-2022 06:36 PM

For the record, I am happy with the way my JRE tune behaves on this 2018. I can easily make the exhaust pop once or twice, "signaling" that there is a bit of power under the hood, but it won't keep "corn popping" for 4-5 seconds, which to me sounds somewhat juvenile... to each their own though, if someone loves it, no judgment here :smoking:

CreeperRS 04-30-2022 07:38 PM

:word:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 (Post 11167094)