Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Tail of the Dragon (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617026)

CamaroGuy61 06-14-2023 08:30 PM

Tail of the Dragon

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone run through Tail of the Dragon in their 1LE? Impressions? I had a blast right up until the speeding ticket 😬Attachment 1128984

Chevyjk33 06-21-2023 10:31 AM

I've run it on a motorcycle, but not the 1LE. Its a trip I'd love to make. Stinks about the ticket, but cool pic!

Mr V 06-21-2023 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the guys in our group got a warning but no tickets. Here's my dragon picture. Did the dragon after the fest back in 2017.

Tomsusername 06-22-2023 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've spent a weekend down there every year since 2018. It's getting to the point now where I modify my car with that road in mind. :smiling1:

gtstorey 06-23-2023 08:54 AM

My first pass on a motorcycle was in 1996. That's the year that the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) Magazine had an article about it and kicked off the start to it being famous.

Actually that might not be true, my first pass probably laying in the back of a station wagon, sliding on a piece of carpet, in the late 70's on a family vacation.

I've also ridden it on a bicycle about 10 hears ago.

There are other roads in the area that I prefer that have a lot less traffic.

Chevyjk33 07-19-2023 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtstorey (Post 11328749)
My first pass on a motorcycle was in 1996. That's the year that the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) Magazine had an article about it and kicked off the start to it being famous.

Actually that might not be true, my first pass probably laying in the back of a station wagon, sliding on a piece of carpet, in the late 70's on a family vacation.

I've also ridden it on a bicycle about 10 hears ago.

There are other roads in the area that I prefer that have a lot less traffic.

If you are in that area and want something with less traffic, I HIGHLY recommend Cherohalla Skyway. Its near the end of Tail and a really awesome drive with way less traffic and lots of pull-offs on it. I ran it on a motorcycle about a month ago and it was great. ITs not as intense as the Dragon, but its a constant curved climb up and down the mountain.

gtstorey 07-19-2023 12:55 PM

My first run over the Cherohalla was a few months before it was actually officially opened. My first trip to the mountains on a motorcycle, about midnight, before the road was striped and in the fog. Made for an interesting trip. The bikes in the lead saw a bear running up the road in front of them. We made a loop of both Deals Gap and Cherohola on bicycles about 10 years ago.

Wayah Rd from Robbinsville to Franklin is another good one in the immediate area. Foothills Parkway is close by. I haven't been through the new extension though.